Small adult/youth sit inside kayak

I’m 5’0", 115lbs, 61 years old, female,
I’ve kayaked before and am fairly strong. However, I’m having difficulty finding a kayak that would fit my frame (small). I’m not fussy about the material, but weight of kayak is important as I will need to move it around/load onto SUV on my own. Can anyone suggest anything? thanks

Hard to find in stock, but the Current Designs Raven is a small-form day touring boat designed for up to 125 lb paddlers, and even though nominally a kid’s boat, we’ve sold them to small adults before. Made of Kevlar, and weighs 26 lbs (if you’re near the Chicago area, we have one that we’re selling on consignment for a customer).

Aside from that, the Eddyline Rio is a go to for smaller folks, and weighs 35 lbs.

Another option, although hard to find as well (discontinued), is the Wilderness Systems Tsunami SP. It’s designed for paddlers from 60-120 pounds. They’re 12’ long and 21" wide, and weigh about 38 pounds. It’s a scaled down Tsunami, and they paddle like the larger Tsunami series boats. They didn’t come with a rudder but one is easy to add if you want.

You didn’t mention where you paddle. If ponds, small lakes, and rivers, the Rio is a good option. If you paddle larger bodies of water and want a touring boat, the Eddyline Sitka ST would be a good fit.

1 Like

Wilderness Systems Tsunami SP or the wider Tsunami 120, both 12’ long, 21" / 25.5" wide, 38 / 50 pounds.

No longer in production, but can be found used. I bought the 120 for my 12 year old grandson, it’s a great kids/smaller person boat.

WS 2013 catalog here showing SP and 120 pictures & specs:

More detail on the SP here:

https://www.rei.com/product/750644/wilderness-systems-tsunami-sp-kayak

Sorry, we must have been replying at the same time on the Tsunami SP… :wink:

@Rookie 's questions on where and type of paddling you want to do would be helpful to hear answers to, as suggestions we make under the assumed paddling you would do may not be right for where you actually will paddle.

My partner is about the same size as you, and paddles a Valley Gemini. She has the plastic (RM) version, as we play in rocks in the ocean a fair amount. They also have composite models, which are lighter. The SP version would be a little more playful (turn easier, track a little less well) where the ST would be the opposite.

She does often borrow Jackson Journey 14 or 13.5 from the shop I work at when we paddle from there.

If you want to roll or do more aggressive paddling, DON’T get a Dagger Alchemy or Stratos. The cockpits were just too large for her that she couldn’t easily hold herself in, so would fall out when upside down. We couldn’t pad them out enough.

Win lottery boat for her would be the Sterling IceCap. They can make them in whatever layup you want, so could be made super light if weight really is an issue. Likely $10k, which is why it is our win lottery boat (actually $20k, as I would also get myself a Sterling Reflection - guess I better start playing lottery).

1 Like

@Peter-CA weird, I have a Stratos 12.5S and a plastic Gemini. For me the Stratos is much much tighter (almost too tight) of a fit than the Gemini. I was going to suggest a Stratos 12.5S or 14S but they are not light - fortunately I don’t have to transport mine often because it is a bear to carry solo. The Gemini, although a few pounds heavier, is much better balanced.

Depending on your budget and where you want to paddle, a Valley Avocet LV would be a great choice, but like several others already mentioned it is no longer made. Also don’t confuse it with the standard Avocet, which was made in composite and plastic - the LV was composite only.

My bad. I should have specified that I was talking the 14.5 Strtos, not the 12.5. I haven’t yet paddled the 12.5, but I do know a smaller woman who has one and loves it. But I do look at the 12.5 as a bit of a specialty boat - best for moving water, rock gardening, and the like. Not as much an all around, as the 14.5 is. But, as said, I haven’t paddled one yet, so could be wrong.

I still stick by the 14.5 as not being a boat one would want if you want a tighter fit for things like rolling. I am 6’ and 230 pounds and I fit in the 14.5S (I own an L, but half wish I got the S instead). But if tighter fit is not important, the 14.5 could be a good boat (albeit heavy).

Hi everyone, I’m super impressed with the quick and knowledgeable responses. Ah won’t be doing any tricks or rolling. Just paddling on a lake, at least for now. Does anyone know the prison?

Not prison!!! Prijon (darn auto correct)

From what I can see, none of the Prijon models are under 50#.

I suppose in any case I will have to get a lift assist and a cart. Any of the kayaks would be too heavy for me to manhandle. What do you think?

Everyone should use a cart. It is just silly machismo to make your life harder than it needs up to be.
Also, you slide a boat onto the roof, not a dead lift. So you are never handling more than half the weight.

All that said, if you are in quiet water and have the money a small solo canoe like from Hornbeck, paddle w a long kayak paddle, may be your best choice. They come at 20 to 25 pounds.

You won’t need any assistance loading and unloading if you get a CD Raven. You are very lucky that you are light enough for this kayak {The Raven is very light , 28 or 29 pounds}

Sounds like the perfect kayak for what you want. I bought one for one of my Granddaughters. {working on spoiling her}

So…I haven’t been ignor you guys. I’ve been checking out off the kayaks you’ve suggested. There’s alot to digest. Thanks for all your input.

So what about cart and car loading/transporting suggestions? The hullavator is hullavalot of money…

I’m a small lady, too, and I have trouble with heavy boats. There are loads of kayak cart options out there. I love the one I use, but the wheels are too large to go into a hatch so I’ll refrain from that recommendation. I use a bar that pulls out of my roof rack cross bar to lean my kayak on and then lift up in the back. It’s made by Yakima (Boat Loader). I think a better solution are the suction cup rollers that go on the back window. I plan to probably get this one because I might need to replace my roof rack: Channel Loader™ Kayak Load Assist

Edit to add: you’ll also need kayak saddles or some other kind of boat attachment. I use Marco Saddles.

Keep in mind when considering kayaks and the weight ranges is that they are specified for TOTAL weight. This includes you and anything you carry and wear. So a max weight of 125 lbs might be pushing it just a little. Or it might be perfect if you are a minimalist paddler.

What kind of car do you have? Does it already have crossbars on it? Knowing what you’re dealing with will help us give you better recommendations. It is very important to get a system for getting the kayak on and off the car that is as easy as possible - you’ll use the kayak more if it’s easy. A Hullavator is one of the easiest (and most expensive) options but there are plenty of other options too. Keep in mind that longer kayaks are actually easier to load on the roof than shorter ones, so a kayak that is slightly heavier, but longer, might be worth the extra weight in exchange for better loading angles.

1 Like

I will look into those loading options. Thanks Pru
I have 4Runner, it doesn’t have crossbars. I’m starting to look at longer kayaks, which also gives me alot more options, especially if I have handling assistance. Thanks

Hi Pru
If you don’t mind me asking, which kayak(s) do you have?