small chair for comfort

-- Last Updated: Apr-01-12 5:33 PM EST --

I just bought a used inflatable (starter) kayak (Stearns Spree) for my young son and myself. This is for casual lake travel.

It has 2 little fold-up "seats", but for comfort I would like to find a small chair that would actually raise me up off the floor of the kayak at least 8 inches.

The Cabela's Folding Canoe Chair is not for me, but it's the kind of thing that I am looking for (plus padding).

Can anyone recommend anything? Thanks.

Single Dad with son, 4

minicell pedestal
Shape it to fit using Dragonskin, Stanley Surform tools, or 3M Sandblaster sandpaper: http://www.harmonygear.com/product/0/8023333/_/TKO_Pedestal

You can customize it and it floats.

minicell pedestal -
Thanks.

The description for this refers to paddlers who kneel.

Is it limited to folks that kneel?

no
Minicell pedestals are certainly a favorite of whitewater open boaters who kneel, but you could certainly reshape this to be more friendly to a sitting posture. Obviously, it is not going to offer any significant back support, but that is not all bad because a chair back can inhibit torso rotation which is important for kayak paddling.

A little aluminum frame beach chair
with the plastic webbing & smooth “u” shaped legs could work and get you a few inches up (more with a pad) if the inflatable floor is firm enough (or made firm with a bit of plywood). I use one as a passenger seat in canoes.

Just thoughts. R

canoe seat
This is a great idea, but the smallest folding chairs that I can find are too wide for the narrow stern seating area of the kayak, where I will be sitting and providing the paddling power.

My son will sit in the (wide) middle, as he is too young to help with paddling.

Thanks.

minicell
Thanks.

I will look into this.

I had a Stearns Spree
And noticed the seating problem. I used a square life-saver cushion. It doesn’t have to be 8". The back of the kayak provides back support. There are some inflatable seats.

Don’t bother - sit low

– Last Updated: Apr-05-12 4:33 PM EST –

Raising your -center of gravity- will make it tippy.

You are supposed to be moving your legs constantly when you kayak correctly anyways.
Like riding a bike to get that torso rotation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lef_ut8n0ms