Small Plastic Dry Boxes

What do you put in those plastic dry boxes besides your cell phone?

stuff
ID, cash, car keys with remote, snacks

pelican 1030
I think that’s right. Cellphone, batteries and keys.

Ryan L.

Camera

Survival gear
When it all goes wrong - fire and shelter need to be made

Dry boxes or dry pouches?

– Last Updated: Jul-29-11 5:25 AM EST –

Interesting question by OP - and answers are yet more interesting :)...

If dry boxes - I'd say camera and/or spare batteries that you might need suddenly for GPS (camera battery isless likely to run out suddenly). No car keys, no cash, no ID. Because if it's not on you, then you can't count on it if things go sour. Dry box is usually not on you - who will carry Pelican 1030 in his pocket? It's 8"x4" on the outside, for God's sake... May be cell phone if you do need to have immediate access to cell phone ON WATER - something that I don't understand, but tastes differ.

If dry pouches like these http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442507367&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700593 - then yes, it can be car/garage remote, cash, ID - because this pouch I carry in my pocket (pants pocket or PFD pocket, doesn't matter as long as it's strapped to D-ring). I'm doing this in long expeditions where I have to carry a lot of valuables - including plane tickets, passport, credit cards etc. BUT... on a local daytrip (and I believe most our trips are of this kind) I carry keys (sans remote) and very little cash and ID in a non-waterproof wallet strapped to D in pants pocket. Cash and keys can get wet temporarily, and so can ID. Garage remote I leave in a car. Car remote - well, I don't have it. Keep it simple.

I use two
A tiny one in the PFD. Has spare contact lenses, some bandaids, Ibuprofen, Bonine, ginger candies, Pepto tablets, kayak club contact cards - stuff I might want to access quickly, for me or others.

In day hatch - much bigger one with a real first aid kit contents.

Dry bag in cockpit has food - clipped around back band strap. Lunch or snacks on the water.

which came first question…

– Last Updated: Jul-29-11 11:40 AM EST –

I found this original question interesting - it sounds like they have a box and want to know what to fill it with. My normal thought process is what gear do I have that I need to keep dry, and how important is it to keep it dry, and then figure out how to do that.

There is an article in California Kayaker Magazine's Winter 2010 issue that talks about the different types of dry storage, and what they are good for (and what not). Many things tat are used for dry storage are not actually that waterproof. Dry boxes are amongst the best, when properly cared for and used, at keeping things dry. That article can be read online for free at http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1q785/CaliforniaKayakerMag/resources/26.htm

they’re expensive
OK, relatively expensive.

I use one for my camera but other than that I resort to alternate measures. It’s surprising the stuff you can utilize.

No, it sounds like
they (OP) want to have this cute little box and want to know what to fill it with.

“My normal thought process is what gear do I have that I need to keep dry, and how important is it to keep it dry, and then figure out how to do that.”

Ditto. And, as it turns out, very few things you need to keep dry AND on you, on a day trip. Perhaps only contact lens and medications in a very small box, smaller than Pelican 1030.

Yes, dryboxes are more reliable than pouches and are easier to access, but you can’t trust it with small valuable things if you can’t keep it on you. Pelican boxes are good quality, though I can’t vouch for non-name imitations.

Yes, there are free alternatives - small plastic bottle after vitamins will keep Ibuprofen and/or Pepto and/or contacts just fine. I usually carry a snack in it - a handful of Trail Mix.

Urine Samples

wally world
I’ve been using a small dry box I got from Wal_Mart 2 years ago. It has a strap so you can attach it to your yak so it doesn’t float away. They no longer carry the smaller one, the one they have now is about the size of a paperback, but much thicker. It runs abour $9. If you want to spend 3 or 4 times as much for a pelican go ahead