Smuggling by kayak

Box turtles smuggled in socks by inflatable kayak. So bizarre. So many questions. Like why is a box turtle worth $1400C? And how were they going to get them to China?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/eastern-box-turtles-smuggle-canada-vermont-1.7252009
And, @admins, why do you allow popups on this site that keep stealing the input focus while I type and make be me-select the text box?

Last question because of MONEY :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

Younger Chinese are fanatical with it comes to exotic pets and will pay fantastical sums for the cache.

Collecting Box turtles runs the spectrum of regulated to restricted in most US territory and certainly taking animals across the Canadian border is regulated.

Of course, other countries have a taste for the same as well. Illegal trade in coral and cacti for instance are now threatening native populations all over the world. Cacti is now one of the most illegally trafficked exotics.

I have pop-ups blocked in my settings and use Purify to block ads. Using those will sometimes cause problems and I suspect that is one reason I have continuing issues with this website showing me error messages.

1 Like

You would think they would choose something faster than an inflatable kayak.