So there I was loading up a kayak

21 Likes

Very cool. Love the 3rd shot with Paris shining her own light.

sing

3 Likes

Awesome.

That is amazing. All we get around here is the glow from shopping centers…

2 Likes

We put those light collars on our retrievers…black dogs disappear at night.

1 Like

Nice! NOAA is predicting G3 solar storm tonight and G2 on the 28th. G3’s have caused auroras displays as far south as Illinois.

1 Like

Curious… Do you find these dog collar lights impacting the dog’s night vision or not?

sing

Really nice pictures - where is this?
I saw aurora from the outskirts of Seattle once upon a time, back in the sixties…

I haven’t noticed it but not much night activity for. Worried about predators

Wasilla Alaska my front yard

1 Like

Oooh!
We apparently had great lights in the last two days within 40 miles of me, NY state. But once again my valley was cloudy…

Does not appear to . Yet ours are not free ranging at night except in fenced back yard. Lights warn drivers in RV parks and makes dogs visible if they get loose.

The old retriever night vision likely doesn’t work good anyway, cataracts. He’s largely nose guided.

1 Like

Sweet pics! I miss the lights - grew up with them hanging over the bay in front of my house through the late fall / early winter.

1 Like

I love those photos and hope to be surrounded by the northern lights (or southern) someday. Without simultaneously being in stranded/survival mode.

1 Like

Gorgeous, thanks for sharing

1 Like

Most mammals are colorblind and can’t see red light wavelength anyway. Safari operators use red floodlights for night wildlife viewing and I’ve worked on research crews that used red headlamps to do nocturnal critter population surveys.

Red light also helps preserve human night vision, which is why at designated astronomy parks in “dark skies” regions or at astronomy field events (like one we joined in Death Valley in 2012) require that any headlamps or work lights be red, whereas white lights are strictly verboten. It can take up to 25 minutes for your low light visual acuity to return after your pupils have reacted to bright white light, which makes it difficult to see dimmer celestial features through a telescope.

Chuck probably knows why operating rooms are kept darker than one might expect – having controlled local light on the work field increases visual acuity, which would be impaired by a bright general lighting level throughout the space. More light is not always “better” light. And, for some creatures, red light is no light.

2 Likes