So, when are you no longer a beginner?

Crossover point may…

– Last Updated: Jul-26-07 12:02 AM EST –

... be when your focus shifts from learning how, to assessing how much you're learning - and where that puts you in relation to what it is you might want to focus on more should you ever want to work toward advanced skill sets.

Without higher goals (whether ever achieved or not) - there is no use for "intermediate" levels. Time has little or nothing to do with it. Many paddlers have no aspirations to advanced levels and are quite happy doing what they do at the level they do it indefinitely. Probably a majority of paddlers are like this, and level off on developing additional skills after getting the basics down for their type of paddling. Terms like "intermediate" and "advanced" really do not apply, and no amount of time paddling the same places the same way changes that - though they are also no longer "beginners" and will pick up more knowledge of things related to their paddling (local area info, gear options, etc.) over time.

In other words, what's in a word? (See Mario's post).

"Beginner" level is often the most fun - so I try to stay there by learning new stuff. I have a LOT to learn.

Could be the very definition! NM

Rolling is a beginner skill.
It is MUCH easier to teach a beginner to roll.

The more you “know”, the harder it goes.

Then someone owes me
a toaster and a George Foreman grill.

Who you please send them FedEx

Good point
I had more fun in the beginning when the river kicked my ass everytime I turned around. oooh how I miss the good times. Now I’m always dragging someone else and their boat out but I always exit my kayak and go in the water with them.

My policy is, “No one goes swimming without me”.

When…
You’ll know when you know that you no longer need to ask that question… :slight_smile:

Beginner/Intermediate/Expert what does it mater if you’re having fun, which is what it’s all about.

???
I’d say that when you are presented with this question you should always ask for more specific

questions.

Re: Rolling is a beginner skill
Agreed. I happened to learn how to roll before doing much paddling. A reliable roll definitely gives you significant psychological advantage in learing other important skills such as edging, bracing, sculling and surf zone skills. Actually I didn’t know how to do a high brace properly until I had a good C-to-C roll on both sides.

ding
that’s a good point

Immediately after you begin
from then on until you stop you are a learner.

My experiences in labels:
People that label themselves “beginner” are either truly beginners and humble enough to seek advice from anyone and everyone to become better/safer paddlers, or they’re truly well adjusted to their type of paddling and “in their element” but too humble to give themselves a big label. Intermediates are either beginners with too much ego to label themselves as such or paddlers that know they’re not green but have plenty to learn. The “advanced” label is reserved for truly well adjusted paddlers to their type of paddling and proud of it, intermediate paddlers with inflated egos, or beginners with really inflated egos.

I should also add that things kind of come full circle in that I’ve only met people from the “beginners” and “advanced” labels that really believe they can learn something from anybody.

So what’s in a label? Nothing. Trust in your abilities. If a trip sounds like it’s beyond your comfort zone, but not your grasp, go with someone you trust and whom you trust in their abilities as a partner. And always before sliding off terra-firma, trust your gut instincts. There’s no shame in saying it’s too big for you; your support group will appreciate it in the long run.

Jim

Had the same question…
I had the same question a short time ago.

I think you got the question right when you asked …… the skills or experiences to have under your belt before you considered yourself beyond a novice or beginner? …

As one who recently started paddling a sea kayak, I had the same question and eventually decided that the bar was much higher than I originally thought.

In my mind it is easiest to divide skills into five levels: novice, beginner, intermediate, advanced, and expert.

The best starting place I could find for a list of skills is the BUC star assessments.

Novice = 1 star

Beginner = 2 star

Intermediate=3 star

Advanced = 4 star

Expert = 5 star –there ain’t many!

You can find the skills needed for each level at:

http://www.bcuna.com/pages/Main-Pages/Literature.shtml

Click on the syllabuses.

A lot of folks will have different ideas, but this works for me. Hope this helps -

the beginning was fun, but
i certainly don’t miss any swimming! I learned to brace and was hitting all my rolls less than two months into paddling so my swims, even then were at a minimun.

You’ve definitely got this little adventurist masochistic side to you GK!

Cheers

I get wet nearly every time
Expert? :wink:

actually
to continue along a line that sing suggested we are always beginners—the ocean has its own unique way of humbling even the most skilled of us.

avoid, accept, or embrace ? NM

Embrace
Getting comfortable in the water and practicing rescues are fun to me. Sculling and bracing experiments usually end with me swimming (and learning) :wink:

You’re no longer a beginner
when you know how to bridge the paddle behind the seat when getting into the kayak.

Beginners never know how to do that.

Moving Up
You may have the skills to pass the beginner stage on the river and lake, but still not have accomplished the skills needed for white water and the ocean. I will consider myself a beginner for a long time, because there are so many different styles of kayaks that require different skills. Once I feel comfortable with a rec kayak then I’ll be ready to move up to perhaps a longer kayak for the ocean and bay.

Feeling Comfortable
Your response says it all!!!