So, when are you no longer a beginner?

when a beginner in paddling ?
Forever

More specific answers
> “But I guess I’m confused when I go to the outfitter sites and they rank the courses as beginner, intermediate or advance.”

If you’re contemplating taking lessons, read the specific of what they’re teaching in the “beginer” vs. “interdiate” classes. If you know most of the stuff they’re covering in the beginer class, take the intermediate.

“I’ve been able to paddle a straight line from my first time in. But I know I’m still a beginner because I still dont’ get what an eddie is, kwim?”

Lots of “intermediate” sea kayakers don’t know what an eddy is. But all beginer white water kayakers does.

Here lies your confusion: without defining your goal, white water vs. sea vs. whatever else, you can’t define a level.

Almost all the “intermediate” sea kayakers will be “beginer” white water kayakers because they don’t have a clue on how to deal with fast current interacting with rocks!

And lots of “intermediate” white water kayakers can’t keep up with a group on a long sea kayak journey, nor do they have any idea of wind and tide. So they are “beginer” sea kayakers only.

"So how do I know when my search for adventure has out paced my skills or experience if I don’t continue to challenge myself? "

Once you define the “adventure” you’re looking for, you can then START to build the neccessary skill towards meeting THAT challenge.

Use the same approach as in picking courses. If a guide book said a trip is “intermediate”, read the detail as to what makes it NOT a beginer trip. Is it the distance? Is it the rough condition? Then, it often times become quite clear whether you have the skill to deal with it or not.

Rating System
Like many here, I am hesitant to apply such objective terms to such a ‘liquid’ sport as paddling. Every time I’m inclined to nominate myself for “Intermediate Paddler” status, Mother Nature or the simple laws of physics conspire to take me down a notch, and I am now resigned to forever consider myself an enthusiastic student of the art.

But there is some benefit in knowing your own skill level, and that of others you may paddle with, and I think my club has done an excellent job of that.

On club trips, it’s nice to know that everyone present has at least taken the same training and passed the same tests as me, meeting a certain minimum level of skill. In addition, there is a similar rating system for trip leaders.

Below is an excerpt from our Water Safety Code.

The entire document can be viewed here:

http://74.86.34.95/about/policies/watersafetycode.html

"Sea Kayak Classifications

Basic Classifications

Lake Rating - This rating is achieved by one who has passed the basic skills lake test in either a sea kayak or whitewater kayak.

1. Familiarity with the Outing Club Lake Rules.

2. Location and meaning of the club light and flag system.

3. Location of the proper boats and paddles.

4. Sign-out and sign-in procedure.

5. Definition of bow, stern, gunwale, etc.

6. How to get into and out of the boat properly.

7. Strokes: the ability to paddle in a relatively straight line forward and backward and demonstrate a knowledge of the sweep and draw strokes and the low brace turn.

8. Proper adjustment of a sprayskirt and placement of flotation bags. How to “bail out” of a capsized boat. The proper methods to empty water out of a boat.

SK-1 - This rating is achieved by a paddler who has met the following requirements in a sea kayak:

9. Demonstrated, in waves of 1-2 feet, the paddle strokes/skills learned in the basic skills lake test.

10. Demonstrated the ability to brace and surf on waves.

11. Demonstrated the ability to re-enter a swamped kayak with assistance.

12. Passed the Club swim test.

Advanced Classifications ­

SK-2 - This rating is achieved by a paddler who has met all requirements for the SK-1 rating and has met the following additional requirements in a sea kayak:

13. Attended a water safety board approved sea kayak safety seminar. The sea kayak safety seminar consists of a combination of lecture and on-water time to review safety equipment, rescue methods, and navigational and seamanship skills.

14. Demonstrated proficiency in surf landings and launches in breaking waves of at least 2 feet.

15. Demonstrated endurance sufficient to paddle 10 miles in single day in a cross or head wind without the assistance of river current.

16. Demonstrated capacity to maintain one’s composure while paddling in waves of at least 3 feet.

SK-3- This rating is achieved by a paddler who has met all requirements for the SK-2 rating and has also met the following additional requirements in a sea kayak:

17. Demonstrated proficiency in rolling a fully loaded single sea kayak in calm conditions.

18. Demonstrated ability to navigate using map and compass.

19. Demonstrated proficiency at surf landings in breaking waves of at least 3 feet.

20. Demonstrated ability to assist in rescue of capsized boaters."

I was always Intermediate? Cool!
I never cared about labels, and now it pays off in a way that I don’t care about!

Maybe
you stop being a beginner when you feel comfortable and confident when you get in the boat. It’s like a presence of mind thing. You stop worrying about what might go wrong, and can concentrate on developing skills of just enjoy the day.

Master…

– Last Updated: Jul-27-07 3:37 PM EST –

You will never master the sea or vessel, only at best,be at her mercy!!

Why am I
suddenly picturing a woman as large as a skyscraper with really bad teeth and seaweed all over her, talking like a demon, with hundreds of crabs falling all over the place?

You are no longer a beginner
when you can see through ninty percent of the BS that is thrown out here from some of those that think they are experts.

cheers,

jackL

Arrrg…
Blast that mother ocean! she can be an ugly one…

When I change my user name …
… To “nenovice”.

“A novice is any person that is new to any science or field of study or activity or social cause and who is undergoing training in order to meet normal requirements of being regarded a mature and equal participant. (See newbie)”

hmmm
When you understand your limitations and start systematically getting training (formal or not) to improve.

I am still a beginner as I have not COMMITTED to the paddle, boat, or myself yet despite paddling 2-3 years now. I am still a beginner - but hope to change that the end of August at the RWS in RI.

Scott

good point
I paddled for a few years before I decided my solo paddling wasn’t enough,I really never learned assisted rescues even though I could roll,it was the point at which I decided to work on weak points that I went from beginner to advanced beginner

why does the ocean roar?
you would too if you had crabs on YOUR bottom

I think…
…when you understand your limitation, you’re no longer a beginer.

When you train and eventually overcome your limitation, you’re advanced (in that area).

Intermediate is a stage when you know your limitation but not yet overcome it. So depending on how far along in your training, you’re at different level of “intermediate”…

Everytime …
… I overcome a limitation, it seems I find a new one. Sounds like I’m a perpetual beginner…

When you aren’t asking the question?
Maybe - because if you aren’t asking the question it means that you have gotten a handle on the fairly enormous amount of stuff that is out there to learn. Way too much for me to ever get it all.

But the ACA and BCU systems can be helpful by putting numbers on things, so a 1 would be beginner and a 5 advanced and the other numbers something inbetween. Worth a look if you want the label.

for a long time I thought that was
the mark of a beginner.

You’re no longer a beginner when
you post on pnet and the thread draws over 50 replies.

I consider myself an expert…
…at being maytaged. I’m also pretty good at perling and unintended endos too.

Honestly, I’m thinking I’ll be wanting some Motocross type pads the next time I go out in the surf.