SOF kayaks

Who’s paddled a Skin on Frame kayak? I had one on loan

today from Cape Falcon Kayaks that I loved! At fourteen feet it’s totally different from a long hard boat.

SOF
I’ve got two and two more coming, though none are traditional construction, still are SOF.

Bill H.

To answer your question…me. Do
you have any other questions? All kayaks have their pros and cons. Are you wondering what they are, or how they paddle, or cost, upkeep, ??? Bill

Yup
Two built and being paddled.

One on the strong back right now.

One design I am really excited about still in the computer.

Two or three other designs tossing around in my head.

Jeff

www.kudzucraft.com

Yes
I built an SC-1 at Cape Falcon two years ago - it’s still a daily paddler for me. I assume you tried an F-1 which is the next generation of the SC-1. If you enjoyed it, you should go for it and build one in a class with Brian - you get a week of instruction plus a boat and paddle for 1/3 - 1/2 of the cost of a light weight composite boat. You can look at www.yostwerks.com for some free designs that work well, but learning from Brian first will make it all a lot easier down the road. I’m finishing a Yost-style SOF now in fact.

Fine boats
I’ve built both Greenland and Aleutian style SOF’s (one each), using the Cunningham and Brinck books. The Greenland was my regular kayak for three solid years. It came out a bit high volume to be an easy rolling boat, but worked fine for an all-round day paddler. At 37 lbs. it is heavy for a SOF, but way light for a 19 footer, eh?

Alan

It’s Definitely Lighter…

– Last Updated: Jul-07-09 6:49 AM EST –

after that, you can't generalize anymore about SOF's. It's a construction method and not a universial design with specific performance traits.

Once you get over the "wow" stage, you'll recognize every boat has compromises. Whether it is good/great depends on the compromises you are willing to accept/make.

sing

Here’s a Nice SOF
http://www.youtube.com/user/streamlined1#play/all/uploads-all/1/iU6jcl6JQOE

Built one, building a second.
And they are totally different from hard boats!

For instance, the 14-footer I designed and built meself, got snagged on a fisherman’s lure during it’s maiden voyage on the Hudson–Tore a nice little hole that made me the butt of some fellow hardboat

P-Netters jokes that day! (There’s “compromise” for ya.) Other than that, and being careful where/how I put-in and take-out, I just love it as a daytourer on the flats. Have now cut two 17 foot gunwales from red cedar on my own property, to put together something with lower volume. Too much paddling now to complete the entire job, but winter’s ice time awaits.

In water trials now.
Just finished a frame mod on a Greenland style of my own design, and presently going through water trials.

Yes they have their advantages and disadvantages. One plus I’m finding now is the light weight. The process of getting it to and from the water and back in and out of the yard at the house is now of minimal effort. Effort now is limited to paddling, rolling and sculling, and due to less concern for racking it on the car, I’m finding it more of a mental snap to get out and paddle more often. Oh… the price is also a nice factor, yet there is some labor time to consider, yet for me it has been very enjoyable labor in a Zen sort of way.

There are so many designs and fabrication choices with minimal $$$, I can see how I could get hooked into building a fleet, something I’m trying to control.

SOF kayaks
Thank you all for your insights. Building a Cape Falcon F1 is on high my list of things to do when time allows.

The cool thing about kayaks, it’s possible to build a quiver, each one with their own personality.

So many boats to paddle, so little time.

Stay safe.

I tried an f1
I was really windy with gusts over 20 mph and it tracked very well on all points. It was easy to turn and easy to keep straight. It seemed pretty fast for a 14 or 15 foot boat. It was very light and comfortable once I got inside it. It was not easy to get my creaky body actually into the boat.