SOF qajaq frame completed!

but it would look so cool!
Stop being so practical and imagine how sexy your qajaq would look if it were painted a stealthy matte black. :slight_smile:

White or clear/antiqued(yellowish) look awesome on a qajaq. Go for one of those.

Greyak practical?
picking myself up off the floor from laughing so much.

Paul

there is no issue with a black quajaq
You’ll be going so fast that the wind will cool you down!

it may be black greyak but it will also be wet. Hardly a formula for a hot boat.

Paul

besides it will be sexy as hell

but clear looks good too (especially for marine life with toothy smiles under you) heheheheh

couldn’t resist.

Paul

Wet
Mine will be high and dry - at least until I have to drag yours on deck to drain it!

Seriously - I have now way to know (beyond psychic design powers) what the freeboard and trim will be like on mine - until tomorrow.

I know beam and length for your Strand boat, but what is total outside depth over masik? Inside depth between ribs (oops - no ribs) top of keelson and bottom of masik? Outside behind cockpit? Inside from top of keelson to top of deckbeam behind cockpit? How tall’s the coaming? How wide are the chines at widest point? Where is the widest beam relative to paddler? To overall center? Spill it man! Didn’t Peter flood you with all the details?

Cool
"White or clear/antiqued(yellowish) look" it will be - and if I screw that up I always have a “Black Up Plan”

For now, I want the unsuspecting to think it’s a light, fragile, and impractical vessel. An oddity from the past meant for show and practicing some obscure techniques. At least until after the race…

Black gives too much forewarning to the carbon crowd. There are many varieties of stealth.

uh nope
kinda interested in the whole “paddling” experience more so than the "measuring, building, cutting, stretching, sewing, etc etc experience.

will the boat do that for me? you betcha.

you worry about all the reasons why. I just want to feel the boat and enjoy myself.

Now having said that, if I ever get into a situation where I need to build a boat for my own survival you will see just how fast I can learn. :slight_smile:

Paul = design and build challenged.

uh -hope you fit!
I can agree that once you have it the numbers won’t matter (too late then).

How can you say it’s higher volume than this, lower than that, will do this, won’t do that -without even knowing basic volume dimensions and relating those to other boats?

This is going to be really interesting. I hope it’s all you expect and more. It’s siblings look pretty nice.

Very glad I decided to build my own. I’d have driven another builder insane with questions and requests. I’ll know exactly who to blame if things are wrong, and who to go to locally for any changes and repairs.

blame
I fully intend to blame YOU if I don’t like the boat. You are the one filling my foolish head with all these numbers and dimensions. I gave Peter my sizes, which we are almost equal to his own btw, both have the same inseam but he has some weight on me.

gonna be perfect!

I am really not too worried. But you are putting some niggling doubts in my head that won’t go away until the boat is here.

Can’t wait to see yours tomorrow!

OK - I’ll shut up now
Some things should stay in my head. I have a bad habit of thinking out loud via keyboard.

Just remember - I’ve never built a SOF before. Never paddled one. Take my comments in that context. All “what if” stuff.

Given that yours was built by someone who has built many - and for much better paddlers than I - odds are yours should excel mine in several regards. If not, I’ll consider changing careers - or at least moving somewhere with more workspace! L

One key difference is that mine is family - an extension of me in all regards - and we tend to overlook some or the quirkier aspects of family! My baby could very well be that unruly/ugly/obnoxious brat of Greyak’s to you! L

O.K. understood … need less ignorance
Yep, I was just picturing all those twisted don’t-make-em-like-they-used-to boards @ H.D. … maybe you guys get better stuff down there.

doubt that Greyak
You spent entirely too much time and research in minimizing the risks for failure. for that I salute your talent/background/design skills and artistry.

Your background and profession lend themselves to this type of anal, err, or should I say “focused” streak that when balanced with some woodworking skills and “eye” will produce something beautiful.

As a photographer for many many years, I always believed, and still do, that if you were going to deviate from established rules, you needed to know what those rules are first, and then alter them to produce the image you wanted. If you didn’t know the rules, and how you manipulated them,how could you possibly call it anything but an accident?

This is what applies to you and other builders. You see the design elements, you know why each thing works, and you modify and you alter to produce what you want out of it. If you didn’t, it could be a masterpiece or a total failure but you yourself would know that it was an “accident”.

Regardless of how it performs and how many times I might have to fish you out of the water with my boat, you should be really really proud.

(and I promise not to laugh after the second time)

Paul

carbon crowd
worry more about getting that “engine” tuned up

Fishing me out?
Does that mean you expect me to slow down for you?

slow down
gotta be moving to be able to slow down…kinda hard to do underwater.

what the hell you doing up so late…last minute scramble? Or just trying to decide how many rolls of plastic wrap you need?

P

L

like father like son?
simply couldn’t stop myself…L

Paul

Easy stuff first…
That’s long overdue. Was in much better shape a year ago (but still needed a lot of work!).

success!
I will let Kris post pics and comments.

Paul

that’s art
beautiful, greyak. reminds me of the ‘stick built’ model airplanes i made. i sent off for the morris and cunningham books on sof, thanks for the inspiration i’m curious how a sof will work here in coastal s.c. with the oysters. i guess i would have to be careful!

BEAUTIFUL, FINE LINES ARE WONDERFUL TO
behold.

Congratulations, not only for the product, but for the design that gave birth to it.

I mostly agree on the color -but coming to you live on the road in Springfield, IL, coming south from Cedar Rapids IA for a ery White Christmas, I surely would, right now, opt for the deepest black, AND a portable torch -water up here is patchily iced, and it ain’t tea for drinking either…

That semi-white natural translucences will be pretty cool, itself, aqnd you can put those latge-daimeter lens battery-powered camping lanterns in the forward & aft compartments (uh, forgot to inquire -will you HAVE bow & aft compartments?)and literally paddle while you glow in the dark.

Sort of like Joel at FBO during the annual Key Largo Christmas boat parade each year…

But whatever, let us know once you have it skinned, then cured, and then, once wetted, what it’s like o use to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in (Springfield, IL, freezsing, on the way to) Miami