Solar panels in the backcountry

Yes, I think I might be stuck with getting out to a site, then daytripping from there so I can leave the system out to charge, which I can accept. Better than never going backcountry again. I’ve managed it in a canoe, and I guess I could strap the panel on top of the kayak. It’d have to be pretty perfect weather though!

Are you sure it’s 40 to 50W continuously? My AirMini draws 20W max, typical power consumption is 6.3W, or 20Ah for an 8 h sleep. My GOLABS 160W power station has a battery capacity of 63. 7 Ah, which is good for 3 nights of sleep. Your 300W power station would run my CPAP for 5 to 6 nights.

Nope, not continuous. But most of the time, and that’s because I’ve got my humidity on. I can’t go without it. Definitely need a different machine next time, one that can use DC power!!!

Ah, humidity, that makes sense.

The AirMini has a humidity contraption that is part of the hose, which does work well, but I only used it one because I don’t need to humidity. The downside of the AirMini is that it is somewhat noisy.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve heard the Airmini had that neat humidity thing on it! Interesting that it’s noisy. The Z2 has one as well. I’ll have to see what they’ve come up with when it’s time for me to make a purchase. I think I have a few years yet before I’m eligible for anything.

This fella in the Montreal area has made a few videos of his CPAP setup and he used a Z2, although he does not use humidity when kayaking. You might find his videos of interest.

1 Like

I know you didn’t ask but…what about wind?

Saw this company’s products on the ISKGA social media