Solar Powered Lights

I’ve been reading up on night paddling and the required lights that’s needed to be seen. Cheapest one was the chemical light stick which I have. Of course they only last from 6 to 12 hours only. There’s also the multi-strobe light…good to have and only cost $30. But I also found something else to use and you can get it in Lowes and/or Home Depot. You know those solar powered walkway light. There’s also a waterproof floating model if you have a mini pond. All I did was strapped it on my deck and voila…15 hour use of guide light. And it only cost me $15. And I also use it as a lamp on my tent.

How bright is the light? In Texas, the
state requires a 360 light even on kayaks and canoes, but it has to be seen. Most low voltage solar lights don’t give out much light.

I use a quality, water-proof headlamp.
Keep it accessible in my deck bag. It also doubles as a flashlight for camp.

I Have Been Thinking About That
I have been thinking about using solar powered lights for the camp.

Some people really hate the sound of gas/propane laterns.

And in the northern Sierras in summer, days are long and nights are short

Eddie Bauer factory store
in my area, West Denver, is closing out their “emergency light”. It’s a 4 AAA powered LED that has 3red/3green nav lights, 3 white LEDs for general lighting, or white strobe function. Magnetic base in a big suction cup that will stick on most smooth bow surfaces. Waterproof to 50’. I like the horizontal LED Navlight in the cordura sleeve better, but the E.B. model is OK for a grab and go thing. $15. wasn’t too much of a sticker shock.

An Alternative
May I suggest that you look at the following as a long-shining alternative.

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=378733#379309