Solara 120 vs Pungo 120. I have doubts!

New member and quite new to kayaking as well.
I’m trying to find “my” kayak and I have doubts.
I sold an Old Town Dirigo Tandem Plus to switch to a one person kayak.
After some researches, my first choice was the Wilderness System Pungo 120, then I found a used (but never used) Current Design Solara 120 and after reading some positive reviews I purchased it.
I took it out in the water yesterday for the first time and I’m not in love with it. I found that it wobbles more than I thought.
Now I’m thinking about going back to my previous decision and getting the Pungo 120. Would the Pungo be more stable?
I saw that the hull of the Solara and the Pungo are quite different. The Solara is more round, while the Pungo is V shaped and has a number of chines from front to back.
Would that make a difference?

Thank you!

They don’t look all that different to me such that I suspect they won’t feel all that different.

On the other hand, boats that feel a little tippy when you first try them are often ones that quickly you would get used to (grow into), like within a paddle or two. I would keep this boat and try it a few more times, unless it is feeling so tippy that you are worried it will flip over.

1 Like

@Peter-CA said:
They don’t look all that different to me such that I suspect they won’t feel all that different.

On the other hand, boats that feel a little tippy when you first try them are often ones that quickly you would get used to (grow into), like within a paddle or two. I would keep this boat and try it a few more times, unless it is feeling so tippy that you are worried it will flip over.

2nd that advice.

1 Like

The Solara is 28" wide and fairly flat bottomed. It is not unstable and it’s not going to capsize easily at all. The “tippiness” that you sense is similar to what it would have felt like when you were a kid and switched from a tricycle (or training wheels) to a bicycle. Your body will quickly get used to the feel of the boat and the sensation will go away. Honestly, the Pungo is very similar in hull profile and you would probably feel the same about it in the water.

I suggest that you practice with it a little near shore in shallow water where you feel “safe”. Hold your paddle level with your chest and gently rock the boat with your hips from side to side, keeping your upper body and paddle level with the water. I’m pretty sure you will quickly find that the boat is very reliable – its secondary stability (and width) will keep it from rolling over. Once your body “learns” this you will be less likely to have a panic reaction, which causes paddlers to overcompensate or make quick reactions, both of which increase the sense of wobbliness.

You will also learn that you will be able to steer the boat by leaning a bit into the turn, which isn’t possible with the more basic cheap rec boats. The more vee shape of the hull is what makes the kayak paddle straighter and faster, turn more easily and also makes it MORE stable than a more flat bottomed boat when hit by a wave or power boat wake.

1 Like

They are also both excellent boats from highly respected manufacturers. They are both of course recreational hull designs, which tend to have high initial stability. Longer, faster, “more advanced” sea kayaks would feel much more tippy.

But tippiness is not always a bad thing. Once you get used to it and become a little more proficient, I think you’ll find the tippier boat more maneuverable and better at handling rougher wind and water conditions.

So my advice is the same as the others above. Give yourself more time to get used to it.

Thanks for both replies. Could you explain why

boats that feel a little tippy when you first try them are often ones that quickly you would get used to

Thank you

Think of it like Willowleaf’s bicycle example. If you’ve never ridden a bike, they feel super unstable. But once your body gets used to it, riding a bike is easy. Your body needs to get used to it. Should come much faster on a kayak than a bike.

Your brain / ears don’t have their kayak training yet, as explained above.

Thanks all for the support!

When trying a new boat I like to sit on the back deck of the kayak while in shallow water, just behind the cockpit, and paddle. If I feel really balanced, I’ll move my legs into the cockpit with my feet resting on the seat and paddle a short distance. I learn things about the boat and myself. If I fall off, no big deal since I’m not in deep water. Just climb back on and try again. It’s amazing what loose hips and staying relaxed let you accomplish.

Another balance exercise to try: while sitting in the cockpit, rotate your body around 360 degrees.

Kayak play always entertains me. And probably any onlookers who see me do silly stuff.

Have fun getting to know your new boat!

360° ! That would be interesting to see.

We are also very new to the kayak thing and it is wonderful way to spend a couple of hours. We are drifters and dippers with all our previous experience having been in a Pungo 120.

For a variety of reasons we purchased Eddylines Sky and Skylark which are 26(?) wide. The first time out we both woobling like a drunken sailor. Each successive paddle, that feeling of instability got less and less.

Just takes a bit of time. I like Rookies suggestionson how to feel your balance.

@string said:
360° ! That would be interesting to see.

Not that difficult if you take your time. We were required to rotate a full circle while seated in our cockpits during my L2. No one was paddling; just stationary. We all managed to stay upright. While it’s a good balance exercise, I also think it’s an assessment tool for the coach.

I am 6’5" and limber will never be in my description. I might do it on a SOT.

V bottom and round bottoms boats do feel different. It’s personal preference which you like better. I do not like the v for foot placement.

I have long legs and big feet and no problem fitting in either the 120 or 140 Pungo.