Solo Caneo Newbie Wants to Step Up

Shaped foam block mounted just aft/near
center that you sit on and straddle like a horse in a kneeling position. Variety of styles and mounting. Check whitewater outfitter sites.

Do you have foot braces in your Vagabond
?

If not, I suggest that you install them before assuming that you need a new seat set up, since you sit most of the time. They allow you to use your muscles differently.

Regarding kneeling, I’m still looking for a kneeling set up that doesn’t pain my knees. I bought a used Grade VI Advantage kneeling pad last summer that gives me the most knee comfort yet, but I’m still only good for a maximum of an hour on my knees at a time. Make sure any kneeling pad is a material that doesn’t get slippery when wet.

I stopped using back support after I got my foot braces adjusted correctly. I originally had the braces too close, which resulted in me pushing myself of the back of the seat.

Regarding double blades in an open canoe. I started out that way until I got a single blade paddle that I liked. Now, the only canoe that I enjoy paddling with a double blade is the Sawyer Loon.

Unlike Andy S. I never like a double blade in my Sawyer Summersong, even though the gunwales were plenty narrow to make double blading egonomically reasonable - minimal knuckle knocking.

Double blading in open boats usually leaves more water dripping on my legs than I prefer, so I just usually choose not to do it.

Around 8 or 9 years ago, I started looking for a “step up” solo canoe from my royalex Bell Wildfire. I now have about 10 solo canoes and am still looking for a “step up” canoe.

Good luck in your canoe and paddle choice. Have fun.

“saddle” = “pedestal”…originated in ww

– Last Updated: Jan-17-12 9:49 AM EST –

OC-1/OC-2 usage. Get the carving just right, add on some of the softer foam and sitting is much more comfortable than in the stock seats...with knees just riding on pads and ankleblocks supporting ankles/feet. Plant it on/to a flat supporting base as well(by glueing or strap) and you can move towards side(canadian-style) or anywhere in addition to giving yourself anykind of slightly angled position which can sometimes help with forward stroke & comfort......fwiw.

Certain marketed pads are made of

– Last Updated: Jan-17-12 10:24 AM EST –

a given density foam. Think you might want to experiment with the density(firmness/softness)..to what's comfortable...while remembering that you won't be putting your entire weight on the knee for extended periods...just to vary your edging/balance/lean. In addition, many shop guys who spend time in WW can carve you up a pedestal out of a plain block of foam. Really just takes planning for the initial form outline, then you simply trace and cut for two matching = the side additions..then glue with contact cement(or whatever is best glue) = voila!...then shave to match what's comfortable for you.. Cutting the height should be left for final decision...your height vs gunwales, add a flooring layer..y/n? or glue kneepads to hull-floor.....etc. Some, like the advertised...have no front post(high point at very front)...nor any extention at back to secure under stock seat....but to add foam is an easy glue job.
$.01

“Kneeling” ect
I paddle my solos with my 260 dubble(Aquabound Manta Ray) a lot when kneeling and it works well and get little water in the boat. I use it when in a hurry,a headwind or current,or when my elbow or sholder hurts. I prefer a straight shaft single paddle though-more soul. I just replaced the 3/8 ensolite glue in pads in my boats with 5/8" because my knees started to hurt at the contact area sometimes. I hope this will delay or prevent this problem. I change position often to the many that are possible with a kneeling setup boat. I think this(which isn’t possible with a low sitting setup) helps my back a lot also.

Turtle

Slightly off topic but
I couldn’t miss an opportunity to promote the Florida Freestyle Symposium. It’s March 16-19 in Yulee (Jacksonville) Florida. (www.freestylecanoeing.com). Not only can you take advantage of 1st class instruction but you’ll get an opportunity to try out many top notch boats.

Marc Ornstein

Dogpaddle Canoe Works

Custom Canoe Paddles and Woodstrip Canoes

Ii was thinking about something else

– Last Updated: Jan-19-12 11:35 AM EST –

Is your Vagabond Royalex or composite? Surely you want to think carefully about what you replace it with no matter which version you have, but there's such a huge difference between Royalex and composite versions of the Vagabond that it will affect the degree to which you "step up" to your new boat. The composite Vagabond has noticeable rocker (though not a huge amount) and is half a foot longer than the Royalex version. The Royalex version has no rocker at all, and since the bottom is pretty flexible it becomes slightly hog-backed when in the water carrying your weight, and that makes it a bit of a pig when maneuvering. ANY general-purpose solo canoe that's composite will be a huge improvement over a Royalex Vagabond, but choosing a better boat if the one you have is composite will be a trickier process, since the composite Vagabond is a much better performer.

Vagabond Construction
My vagabond is a Kevlar with Gelcoat. I did not know that the different construction Vagabonds had different designs also. I really appreciate all the good advice and knowledge here.

Is your Vagabond Wenonah or Curtis?
Just thought I’d ask, since yours is kevlar with gel coat and I don’t know how common that combination was with Wenonah.

The Curtis Vagabond and composite Wenonah Vagabond are different boats, so verifying which you have is good information for people who want to assist you.