Solo Canoe Fever + Questions

Condolences Charlie
Sorry to hear of your loss. My mom’s recently been given months rather than years to live by her doctor. She’s proven them wrong before though so…

This thread has amazed me, in part because I was in a rather worn out fool state when I posted the initial blurb.

Your contribution here along with a number of others is very helpful. That is the best, clearest description of shouldered tumblehome compared to some other designs, and relative to construction ease and cost that I’ve read. Some of that I knew intuitively by experience, and parts of it I’ve read before. I don’t think I understood the part about manufacturing clearly before you explained it. So thanks.

One bone to pick with you though :-). My dad, aka, “Big John”, aka, “The Moose” is mainly responsible for supersizing me! Man, I got a good laugh out of thinking about that :-). I figure I’m only a “Whitetail” or “Muley”.

My best to you and yours,

Rob F.

CEW
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

Tom

My sympathies Charlie.
And also, thank you for the extensive canoe genealogy. I find every bit of it fascinating. Best to you!

jean and boat fit.
My mother, Jean Wilson died five weeks shy of her 94th birthday. Her reading light was on, her glasses were on; she had the economist in her hand, turned to the science section. Her’s was a scientific life well lived, [she saved Horseradish from insect infestation], and her end was so gentle I wish it for us all. Thanks for the heartfelt condolences, but let’s drop that topic.

The key to kneeling boat fit is triangulation. The knees must be comfortable spread into the chines, and the butt must be lodged on a seat. We can change seat height, but the knee thing is determined by thigh length and interior hull width. ABS and wood-canvas hulls are smaller on the inside than composite hulls, so an ABS Yellowstone will fit tighter than a composite version.

The overall hull needs be narrow enough to allow a vertical paddleshaft. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night sweating about a long legged individual with narrow shoulders, but it seldom happens.

So there’s the fit thing; every individual has an X width that is perfect for their physiogamy. If you have to sit rather than kneel, stability is cut and most folks need a wider hull which compromises everything.

Then, enter the dog. Mine is 88 lbs, the vet says 82 would be better; we’re working on that. And I fit a 28.5" hull. The only way to float the pup is a longer boat; a sliding seat helps too.

cew

sorry to hear
about your mother.

i’ve given you more than my fair share of hard times, but i did stick up for you on this post.

take care

chad19