Solo Canoe Float Bags????

When I first got my Yellowstone
I thought I would use it for easy whitewater. I kept the cane seat, but put in D-rings for thigh straps, kneepads, and 60" bags (maybe we shouldn’t go there again).

Anyway, once I started paddling whitewater regularly, I quickly realized that I wanted a dedicated whitewater boat. Sometimes I’ll take the Yellowstone on flatwater trips which also have some easy rapids - like the Androscogin next week. I’ll probably take the straps for that trip. Even with bench seat, they do help keep you locked in the boat. G2D will probably call it overkill, and it probably is, but what the heck.

If you’re going to glue in knee pads, I wouldn’t use the ones with the raised edges - I used the flat pads. Most of the time I paddle the Yellowstone with a Bell T-pad just like you. The T-pad lies flat over the glued in kneepads, and two layers are a nice cushion under my knees.

Compromises
I’d say the Guide/Freedom Solo is similar in purpose to my Osprey. A touring/tripping boat with some whitewater capacity.

I have a sliding bench and long kneepads in my Osprey. That makes trimming the boat quite easy. For most purposes, including some easy class II, that has worked quite well.

I have been through some II+ rapids where I would have liked to have had better contact with the boat. Mostly my knees slid around more than I wanted them too. So I’m considering some sort of knee cup or knee pad with an inside ridge. Still trying to figure out how to work that with the sliding seat.

I don’t want to use a pedestal or thigh straps because they would limit my seating and standing options.

I have dedicated whitewater boats for things that would require more.

Tommy

not all class II is the same

– Last Updated: Apr-30-09 12:04 PM EST –

Maybe your class II is fairly technical but basically dry. The class II section on my local creek, can be fairly technical or fairly wet, depending on the water level.

If you're going to fish a lot, I wouldn't overkill the bags. Lacing and treble hooks don't mix well, not to mention the bags themselves.

Great thoughts
Thanks for all the thoughts. My fishing has been mostly flat water and class 1 rivers, so I don’t plan to use air bags for that. I plan to use the air bags for water that’s more challenging for me. I envision a path similar to Eckilson, playing around a little, seeing how my skills progress, and then getting a WW boat. For anyone that knows the Potomac River the “Needles section” around Harpers Ferry, or the area below Seneca Breaks GW canal loop, what would you suggest as adequate for that type of area? A boat with no outfitting, the bench/airbags combo, or something else?

Flotation and Treble Hooks!
I thank yew wood need some o them thar steel belted puncture proof radial floatbags.

Yessir that’re what Ah Thank.

Tommy

On the occasions I’ve had bags 'n hooks
… I kept the bags blown up pretty tight so the hooks couldn’t bite. The lacing is actually more of an issue.