Solo Canoe for Flat Water

I’ve heard a general rule for all things used is 1/3 retail price, which is about what I paid, but that was 4 yrs ago for a royalex Heron - they’re now making the model using different materials than royalex. Some boat models/materials seem to develop a real following after they stop being manufactured and gain in value, and of course the condition of the boat matters. The one I got was in decent shape but definitely had some cosmetic scratches. The other thing is that, around here at least, I think prices shot up a lot during the pandemic as everyone decided to take up outdoor hobbies. And the geographic area matters - some areas seem to have a lot of demand, others not so much. So, hard to say, I’d recommend looking at the classifieds on this site and on Craigslist in your area to get a sense of fair market value right now.

BigSpencer: As of two summers ago (when I bought my canoe paddle there) Mountain Man has relocated all their paddle sports boats and gear to a very nice second shop location outside of town on Fish Creek (where their kayak rental livery has been for years) behind the Harvest and Hearth Stonefired pizza place. Perfect location for demos now right at the dock.

I don’t know if Lake George Kayak is still offering demos from their rental kiosk on the lake over near the big hotel – last time I was there they seemed to be ramping it down from what it used to be.

I’m really close to the PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous at Coopers Lake. It got cancelled last summer, but hopefully it will happen this year. Still keeping an eye out for a good deal on a used boat, but not in a rush to buy anything. I’m a pretty basic paddler, so a little intimidated by the Rendezvous folks, but I’m sure they’re nice people.

Go if you can. Great folks and best opportunity to try several boats and get good input about each. More fun than should be legal if you love canoes…and after that weekend you will.

No reason to feel intimidated by the people who attend the WPASCR. Although I haven’t been able to attend for the last several years, the times I have nobody there seemed like a “boat snob”. People do bring a variety of very nice canoes and are happy to talk about them.

Whether the event happens this year will depend on whether Cooper’s Lake Campground decides to be open or not. Pennsylvania has been getting hit pretty hard with the virus pandemic recently and unless things improve substantially they may decide not to open. But we have 5 months to go so there is time for things to get better.