Solo Canoe Recommendation

Agree that boring is better to some
But for all those items you listed the Magic has performed flawlessly. In many ways the lightly arched bottom of the Magic is what makes it more stable. In beam waves it rolls through the waves instead of on top of them making for a much smoother feeling.

I catch big fish in it, take photos with my digital SLR with 300mm zoom lens, lay back and nap, and plow through big waves with nary a twitch. Can you tell I love my Magic!!!

One thing is for sure though a Prism will go straight without thinking about it.

Randy

Another vote for the Magic
I go about 220#. That is me in the pic with the big Pike. Done the BW for 4 years now in the Magic.

I also own a Swift Shearwater and MR Guide.

I choose the Magic for the long distance flatwater trips with a weeks or more of gear. Been in some pretty rough soup loaded and empty. Have full confidence in the hull.

The really pleasant thing is that we have found we can cruise all day long at 4 to 4.5 mph (by GPS)without taxing ourselves.

This year our BW trip started with a 17 mile day. 5 or 6 portages all relatively short so the majority of the mileage was paddling. Even at the end of the travel we maintained a paddling speed as mentioned.

I’ve paddled the Prism and though not set up to my preferences found it pleasant enough and capable in big flat water with copius boat wake. It is definitely a go straight hull and has enough volume for a load. It does however have more of a windage factor with the higher free-board. I would flinch a bit with some of the conditions me and Pyker have encountered concerning wind and waves.

Throwing another wrench in the works, I use the Shearwater with big loads on bigger moving water and it is extremely stable and paddles well loaded.

So now I’ve muddied the waters some more for you. Last word; Bell Magic.

FWIW

Wes

Professional opinion
Not mine - no one needs to hear that.

Talk with John Ruskey at Quapaw Canoe Company - he has a shop in Helena, AR and Clarksdale, MS - and knows the lower Miss. about as well as anyone alive.

Another - Placid Boatworks
Rapidfire.A canoe that almost thinks it is a kayak.Fast,seaworthy,very little wind effect.

Prisim/Magic
I own the Prisim and my paddling partner owns the Magic. For what I paid for the Prisim and its’ intended purpose as a lightweight-easy to car top, fly fishing platform and the fact that I got it for a good price used, it will fit my needs just fine, but for sheer on the water comparisons, my friends Magic is a superior boat. Unfortunately used Magics are basically non existent in this neck of the woods and my 2nd choice the Prism popped up. Tested a Shearwater and it seemed a tad large even for my bigger frame, unless it was going to be used for tripping.

trouble is that wasnt on the OPs
shopping list.

What a paddling weekend! Out to play in RapidFire at the mouth of the Sheepscot River/Gulf of Maine. Temps a little above freezing, sunlight, and dead calm and no wind… could see forever …

Today we ran around Sebago in a snowstorm as it started to freeze up…

Drysuits are pricless!

A Big Thanks
Thanks to everyone for all the great advice and opinions. Being able to learn from a group of experienced people helps reduce the number of costly mistakes I could make. From all the opinions it seems obvious that both the Magic and the Prism can do the job and the final decision is going to come down to which one works best with my personallity. My next step is to locate a couple I can paddle. Thanks for the Rapidfire suggestion, I’m going to check it out as well. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to provide you two cents.

RapidFire
The RapidFire is designed and marketed as a deckless kayak. You sit near the bottom of the boat, legs stretched out in front, and use a double-blade paddle.

Placid Boatworks will make you one with a high-mounted seat, for use as a true solo canoe. I have one and like it very much. I both kneel and sit-and-switch in mine. If you want to go this route, make sure you distinguish between their “high” seat (one of three heights they offer for the kayak-style seat) and a cane seat that is hung from the rails; it’s much higher than their highest kayak seat. With the cane seat, the boat is pretty tippy for a solo canoe, but I got used to it after a month.

I use my RF all the time on the Hudson at New York City, in waves of two to three feet, tip to trough. The bigger problem is with short, steep chop coming from the side. The RF has low sides, and it’s easy to take on water. I’ve never used it with a load of more than my 220 pounds plus 40 pounds of gear, but presumably the low freeboard gets even worse with a lot more weight.

I recommend it if you want a fast, somewhat nimble boat and are willing to take some time to get past the unsteadiness that you will feel starting out. I’d guess you’d be happier with a Magic, or even a WildFire.

– Mark

Probably not for me
I checked it out after the recommendation and came to the conclusion that I’m looking for a little more stability and freeboard. It looks like a well made nimble boat, but dosn’t fit my requirements as well as the Prism or Magic

How about the Indy
Can’t bite my tounge any longer.

Vermont Indy

15’8"

28.5 gunwale width (hull width 25.7")

29" at 4" waterline

Slight rocker

Slight vee bottom

Look up product reviews of MRC Independence on pnet. We make it 3/4" deeper than Mad River Canoe did.

Rob

When you gonna get that on your site!
Or at least show some pics, I have been dying to see it. Maybe they were posted and I missed it. Please provide relief. I beg you.

Indy
Thanks Rob, I deffinetley will. I wan’t to make sure I consider everything suitable before I get out the wallet. Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone else feels there is a suitable canoe that hasn’t been mentioned please chime in.

Just signed up for Paddling Perks
which allows me to post pictures directly on my posts. I will try and get some up today.

Our web site will not be updated till around the new year.

Rob

Try a Wenonah Argosy.
You should lower the seat and install Yakima footbraces and a backband if you paddle sitting. The Argosy hauled paddler plus gear (300-325lb total), handled well and stayed dry in class1-2. The hubby kept up with fast tandems. He kneels, but sat and fished for about 1/2 of the trip. I think you might want a boat that performs well in moving water and flat water. The lower Mississippi still has current and eddies and is not like a lake. Also, the Argosy did very well in 25mph wind, empty on a lake. Pretty much made up our mind to buy it. We haven’t been disappointed.

Kruger Sea Wind
Quite expensive, but worth it…they do weigh 60 lbs but personally I would rather shave weight out of my other gear than my canoe. The rudder is a lot better than J stroking, or switching sides constantly, and they certainly can haul quite a load if you need it to.

Kruger Sea Wind
Quite expensive, but worth it…they do weigh 60 lbs but personally I would rather shave weight out of my other gear than my canoe. The rudder is a lot better than J stroking, or switching sides constantly, and they certainly can haul quite a load if you need it to.

well, that took a while
seems like months since we’ve had a “kruger, end of conversation” reply about solo canoes.

i remember when it was all you could do to keep that name off this board.

want a canoe, get a kruger. want a kayak, get a kruger. need to invade a south american government by boat, get a kruger.

ah, now i feel better. :slight_smile: