Solo canoe rentals in the ozarks

Hey Ozark paddlers, does anyone know of an outfitter that rents solo canoes in the missouri part of the Ozarks.

Thanks,

Rob

Solo canoe rentals

– Last Updated: Aug-01-06 1:12 AM EST –

I've been paddling the rivers in the Missouri Ozarks for many, many years. While some outfitters may have solo canoes available for rental, I have never personally seen one. They typically rent Old Town, Buffalo, and Osagian tandem canoes. Some have little pumpkin seed kayaks, and rubber duckies for rent.

Canoe rentals/shuttles on the rivers you are asking about are quite expensive. Renting a canoe from an outfitter for a week may cost you the price of a well used, but still usable, second or third hand canoe.

I encourage you to try to schedule your trip for weekdays instead of weekends, unless you enjoy the company of drunks, fools, dopers & buffoons. Better yet; schedule a Fall, Winter, or Spring trip. The "river dorks" migrate back to the holes they crawled out of at the end of Summer.

BOB

solo rentals
BOB, Thanks for the answer. It’s kinda what I expected. My wife and I have been paddling together for about 5 years now in the Ozarks, and I don’t remember seeing any myself. I was just hoping to get lucky.

Thanks,

Rob

Forgot to add…
Unless you have plans to give up the idea of solo canoeing, I suggest you keep a real close eye on Pnet canoes for sale ads. I have picked up several excellent solo boats from Pnet; Swift Osprey, Mohawk Solo 14, Bell Wildfire, Blackhawk Shadow, Blackhawk Ariel, Sawyer Autumn Mist, and a Mad River Freedom Solo to name a few. Quite a few of these boats were in near new condition, and many were way under retail price.

If you are ever around Lake of the Ozarks, I would be happy to let you test paddle several of my solo boats.

BOB

Thanks again
Thanks for the offer. If I’m ever going to be in the area, I’ll let you know. That kind of offer from a complete stranger just shows how unselfish and giving the majority of the paddling community is. {river dorks not included}

Thanks Again,

Rob

You might try
Twin Bridges Campground on the North Fork of the White River. I stayed there last January when we paddled the North Fork and Bryant Creek. We had our own boats, but I seem to recall that the outfitter there had some solo canoes. I also recall the owner telling us about thieves heisting several boats including some new solo canoes. There are new owners at this business and they are very eager to please their customers. Anyway, give them a call or email them to find out about solo boats. Also, if they have some shorter tandems, you can always paddle them stern first if the seats will accomodate it. You might take a kneeling pad since I doubt if their solos or tandems have any. Here is the web site:

http://www.twinbridgescanoe.com/index.html

Northfork
Thanks for the tip about Twin Bridges. My wife and I floated with them about five years ago. I’ve been wanting to go back, this may get me there before the end of the year.

Thanks,

Rob