Solo Tripping Canoe for river travel.

Depth…
thanks for all the rplies! one more question…how deep is too dep for a solo river canoe? i read where ol’cliffy says no more than 12in. some of the recommended boats are up to 15 inches deep. i’m sure their drier but is that a draw back when paddling?

can’t see where depth becomes a problem
i like deep boats. greater heeling, drier and seaworthy. i’m also 6’5" with ape arms so i have never understood the feeling of hard to reach, and i don’t feel as comfortable in shallow boats given my size. windage is usually cited as the reason to have a shallow canoe but you should be more concerned about bouyancy on the water than windage in a river boat. i’m turned off of any river canoe with under 13" depth in center and i like deep ends as well. i guess that’s why i like prospectors and Clipper’s are deep.

I’m 5’5" and I sit low in the boat.
The Odyssey is deep and I can reach easily with a kayak paddle. It’s harder to do cross strokes with a single, but my rotation is limited. The hubby is 5’8" and kneels. He has no problem reaching bow to stern or doing cross strokes. If you’re running scratchy rivers, the Odyssey14 draws little water and stays dry in class I-II.

As far as Clipper, they make a quality boat. We paddle with folks who moved here from your area and they have a Tripper. 10yrs old, well maintained, lots of miles. It’s a fiberglass layup and has held up well. I agree that you should look at their boats.

I have the perfect boat for you!
I have a 16’ 4" Swift Raven. It’s a fast solo river runner made of ABS in great shape. It has a nice curved wood web seat with wood thwarts, heavy PVC gunwales, heavy differential rocker and lots of room. I’m selling it at the bargin price of $499.00 and will arrange delivery anywhere for no more than what it costs me.

Suntan

whoa.
give this guy Suntan a call dude. this boat may be a bit moving water specific but a pretty unique catch for that price. too bad he wasn’t in Canada!