some questions about the malibu 2

i will be using it for fishing in the summer and fall, with 2 paddlers, and will be using it for duck hunting in the winter with one paddler, using the second seat for my decoys. i am kinda realizing what i was expecting to do in a canoe or kayak isnt what they are made for, so thanks for bearing with me and putting up with my questions. so here are a few more about the malibu 2 made by ocean kayak.

1. can one person handle it fairly easy in say a 10 mhp wind, even though its a tandem?
  2. is it stable?
  3. is 640 a fair price for a new one?
  4. i know a kayak can capsize, but can it sink? (yes, im a total NOOB!)

getting wet in the winter is not a concern, i will be wearing chest waders, and good pfd, and will not be in water above my chest.

Serious answer
Where are you in Virginia? Your questions are so basic that my first response is to suggest that you look for winter lessons in a pool if you are within reach of any. A couple of hours in a kayak, in a nice heated pool, would probably be a much faster path to some of these answers than this board.

Long time since I was in one
but I will give you my best remebrance.

One person should be able to paddle it fine in 10-15 MPH winds. However I think you need to paddle it solo from that little middle seat. Be sure you get it rigged so that you can add a seat-back in that middle position or that middle seat will be really uncomfortable.

They are very stable. Not sure if they are really good for standing, but lots of guys fish out of them by sitting sideways with their legs dangling in the water without problem.

When paddling tandem do not follow the usual rule of having the heaviest paddler in the rear. Because the rear seat is so far back you get better trim with the lighter paddler in the rear. When paddling tandem you really have to be in synch or the paddles will collide. Rule is generally the front paddler sets the rate but does not change rate or stop without announcing it first. Rear paddler usually is in charge of direction changes by calling for ruddering or paddling on one side only.

You might want to ask questions on

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/portal.php

Mark

lol
theres a shortage of heated pools and kayaks around here. thanks for the answers.

me thinks ya’d wanna
get some scupper plugs too . Yer SOT has self bailing holes in it , but you can plug em with just about anythin or buy the plugs fer it. Keep yer buns outta the puddle .They are WAY stable an I don’t think the recoil outta unbalance ya that much . I would tie a tether to my shotgun though , an clean it once I’m off the water , you’ll get salt from the air .

M

In that case -
I agree with the recommendation that you check in with a fishing kayak board. They’ll likely have some good info on how well specific boats perform for that purpose, a little more specialized than the more general mass of paddlers here.

Some answers

– Last Updated: Nov-19-08 12:41 PM EST –

First, let me say that if you're going to tandem paddle for fishing you had better be good about coordinating your casts with your partner. It can readily handle the weight, but there's not a lot of distance between you and your partner.

Now, to your questions:
1) can one person handle it fairly easy in say a 10 mhp wind, even though its a tandem?

Yes. Assuming of course that you could do the same in any other kayak.

2) is it stable?

Very.

3) is 640 a fair price for a new one?

No. It's a good price. A fair price would be $750.

4) i know a kayak can capsize, but can it sink? (yes, im a total NOOB!)

Anything that floats can sink. It is highly unlikely to sink in the situations you described. You would do better to worry about it turning into an alligator and biting you because it's about as likely.

I have a Malibu 2. I usually paddle it solo for fishing. I've added thigh straps and a Surf to Summit fishermans' seat. I also paddle it tandem with my young daughter so that she can learn stroke technique without getting frustrated in her own boat. I have rescued a friend who wiped out in a rapid by picking her up off the ledge she was standing on. She had recovered all of her fishing tackle, plus another person's fishing tackle. I was able to transport her (guessing 160#), me (roughly 240#), and three people's tackle and lunches for the day. Bear in mind that she was on the front seat and I was in the center seat, so the boat was poorly trimmed doing this. I had good boat control and still had good freeboard. Malibu 2 is a work-horse boat. It's not fast or sporty, but it gets you there and your gear too.

I can't speak to how it would be for hunting because I don't hunt. I wonder how you'd keep your gun and your shot dry. But there's probably some kind of case for that.

- Big D

thanks
thank you sir, ya answered my questions very fully. any boat, i dont care if its a 45’ work boat, if ya go duck hunting, everything is going to get dirty and wet, just goes along with the sport, lol. thanks for the answers, it was a great help.

You’re welcome.
Someone mentioned scupper plugs. I do have scupper plugs and use them on flatwater. I’d be likely to use them on the C.Bay. When I paddle rivers, I often leave them out so that if I take on water it drains out immediately. They’re cheap and nice to have, so I think the suggestion is a good one.

Some of the Virginia Beach rental places rent the Malibu 2’s. You may be able to get one used cheaper there than buying new. Also, you may be able to rent one for a day and see whether you like it before buying.

Good luck, have fun. I really like mine for fishing and hope that you enjoy yours if you get one.

• Big D