someone w/ Current Designs kayak bkround

Can someone with Current Designs kayak knowledge or rough knowledge know or could give me a rough estimate of what a Current Designs Solstis ST. 1999 fiberglass (#55), blue and white, kayak might be worth today sold used. With a worn out front rubber hatch and some overall wear and tear scratches? I know how to fix polyethylene boats well with plastic welding. However, I have no knowledge on fiberglass. Just an informed rough guess anyone…anyone… Bueller… Faris Bueller…

where are you from mycogod responder?

MI
Michigan.

anyone know$?

Where is the boat?

– Last Updated: Aug-07-07 8:04 AM EST –

I know of such a boat, are you from the northeast ?

As to fixing glass, it's pretty easy. In fact smaller scratches are more easily patched up than in plastic.

What are you planning to do with this boat, in terms of future use and skills?

$900

all
used glass boats fall between the $1200 and $1900 range. Doesn’t mater so much what the make or model is. That’s where they fall…You have to decide where in this range the particular boat fits.

Best Wishes

Roy

Unless the model is dated
Which a Solctice ST is. $900 might be on the high end of the price range. Depends on how fast you want to sell the boat.

About $1000
I sold it for $1200 I think. It was in nice shape.

I think that $900 to $1100 would be fair in the condition you describe (it does have a rudder).

The ST has a very fine entry making it prone to pearling (nose-diving) when surfing or in following seas. Personally, I like the kayak. Almost as fast as the Solstice GTS, but with stability close to the GT.

Glenn

900-1100
Sounds fair.

fair market value
Re: the front hatch; did the ST use an 8" diameter round rubber hatch rather than the flush glass hatch with neoprene gasket as on the GTS? If so, a replacement is available for about $50 - not a big deal. If not, than the hatch could be a major issue…

Assuming the hatch IS the round hatch, if the glass is in good shape, no major gouges, dings, dents, or breaks, and the rudder is in good working order, $1100-1200 is reasonable. FWIW, an hour or two of working with rubbing compound, wax, and a buffer to make the gelcoat look good could be worth $100 or more at resale.

roll in a sea kayak

its got a rubber hatch
do you mean 100 more added to 900. So your saying scratches and dings can easily be bugged out?

well truth is I just bought it
Ive secured it to be held for me and I will look at it thursday It says they are made for life so I hope the used one I bought is just that. Sounds like I made out with a good deal 900. the dude says its been in storage for the last 2 years. Did I make a smart choice for my first seaworthy sea kayak? I hope to roll in it and have fun it wil be my first fiberglass kayak

Good deal
Sounds like a great deal if the only glass work it needs is cosmetic. Still a good deal if it needs a couple of “real” repairs.

I know three people with older Soltices and they all have Valley front hatch covers. If the front hatch cover says Valley in the center of it, it will be easy to find a replacement - any Valley Sea Kayak (aka Valley Canoe Products) dealer will have one. And it’s the same one that Nigel Dennis uses (not positive about new boats) for the day hatch.

Lovely Looking Yak
The ST is one of the prettiest kayaks I’ve ever seen. Just remember that the nose is narrow so it can dive on you.

Also, the Solstice group can be a handful in surf. In breaking waves they often get sideways.

Personally, I’d like to own an ST if, and only if, it were 22" maximum width. The 24" width I think they are makes them quite stable, but that’s why I liked the GTS; at 22" wide its a rocket! Just didn’t knee turn to my liking.

Glenn

Rolling the Solstice Boats
I started out with a Squall as my first sea kayak, and it was the boat in which I started to learn to roll. So I am reasonably familiar with that part of it, with the condition that the Squall is a good bit narrower boat than it appears the GT is if the above post is correct that the GT is 24 inches. The Squall is 22 inches.

As to durability, the CD boats have traditionally been tanks. And the older ones have heavier duty bulkheads than some of the stock models from more recent years, so unless there ae spider cracks or huge repairs somewhere it should be solid.

As to rolling it though, they will roll but they are not particularly forgiving in terms of beginner mistakes. At 24 inches wide and pretty deep (as were all older north american boats) it will be hard to break it by the secondary stability at first - it’ll take a big effort that can be counter-productive to the learning process.

I would suggest that you borrow an easier boat to learn in - most environments that teach rolling have some easier rollers around - then work with someone to transfer those skills to the Solstice once they have started to come along.

If it is a useful reference, I had my success rate up to one out of three in my Squall for a long while, which is 2 inches narrower and so should be a smidge easier than the GT. The very first time I went to the pond to practice with my Explorer LV (and a better paddle), I nailed three out of three right out of the box. I hadn’t changed, but the Explorer is just much more forgiving of errors. After I got that kind of comfort down, I found I could roll boats that had previously been fairly difficult.

well my other boat is a pungo 140
when you attempt to roll in that for learning its frustrating because when you try to use your rolling knee you cant engage it because its really on the side I guess that would be the gunwhales. plus the sprayskirt which is hilariously huge does implode on me everytime I practice and the only thing keeping the boat from completely swamping is a float bag wedged in in the bow of the kayak which prevents it from basically becoming a pretty red buoy. I have seen a professional roll my kayak in one try. But he has probably rolled millions of times in different kayaks he said. I have come close to getting it righted through much trial and tribulations of practice lateley. However once the boat is swamped its heavy and almost, for me at least, impossible. Its a recreational cockpit. its not so much the width that is the obvious problem but the length of the open cockpit. I mean the knees are totally exposed to the sun if you know what I mean so its hard for someone learning to engage the rolling knee without slippage. I want the soltice because for one its a sweet boat, and when a rare deal presents itself for someone who cant afford a 1500 or 2500 dollar boat you take it. I love the sport and know I will use it. did I mention its a sweet boat. I have always hoped of someday owning one of those sweet touring kayaks made by current designs which I think is a Minnesota based company or Wisconsin based company.

I know that

– Last Updated: Aug-08-07 1:19 PM EST –

I remember your other posts - the Solstice would be a good bit easier than the Pungo. I am just saying that the fastest course to a goal is not always the most seemingly direct, and in the case of a roll an even easier boat might be a more encouraging start.
Plus, it's likely to be a shorter boat. After moving around the Pungo which is a pretty simple carry, you'll find that you won't mind opportunities to skip handling over 17 ft of fiberglass for things like one hour rolling classes or pool sessions.

These are great trippers and you'll really enjoy that - also pretty fast and track like trains. But they don't fit thru doors into pools real conveniently.

I appreciate it Celia
ya my next boat will be a WW displacement hull short and tippy. That video the kayak roll shows the grace in rolling with a playboat or white water boat no question. since Im not really into playboating or white water boats I would probably go after the cheapest plastice one I could find. Even if it has holes Ive got plastic boat welding down to a science.