Something new for Salty

Hope Brent doesn’t mind my posting a link to the building forum on that other board (if so please just nuke it) but I’m not sure if Salty reads that one and he’s been complaining about nothing new in kayak design. I think this is pretty interesting but I can’t judge if how much of a breakthrough it is. I could see getting interested in speed if I didn’t get white knuckles trying to stay upright.

http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/index.cgi/frames/read/151440

Doesn’t Care If "Nothing’s New…"
with boats. Salty knows that, if there were anything significantly new in hull design parameters, it would more than more likely suck on the water.

What is “new” is that each and every wave coming in on a great surf day. Even if you were to try for sameness, each wave and each ride is different in some way.

Rip a new one for me, Salty! LOL!

sing

Wow!
I like what I see in the link. As for new, rest assured, people are paddling stuff that is very cool and will never be talked about on this site. Surf on sing, and make the section!

"people are paddling stuff that is very
people are paddling stuff that is very cool and will never be talked about on this site. Surf on sing, and make the section!

how many times do you say this Salty? since i’ve been reading this board.

why don’t you enlighten us, the ignorant masses? what are you designing/testing now? how is it going to be superior to the slow, heavy garbage we are now paddling?

You are not ignorant
Probably smart enough to know that highly specialized products are tough to sell in a tight market. So I think kayak manufacturers have to gravitate toward what is the norm. Valley’s Rapier is an example of a very cool new boat, but I wonder how many they sell. Quite a few prototypes never make it to market, and some are awesome, just too fringe. Good day.

Some of the surf boats…
manufactured today are really pretty cutting edge. Mega’s range, plus those offered by Valley are pretty cool. I like what I’m seeing from Murky Waters. There are new designs coming out all the time.

Dogmaticus

Yeah, agree
I think WW and surf boats have really evolved. My comments have been directed at touring sea kayaks…It would be cool to stretch the boundaries there a bit.

Maybe…
with Valley producing the Rapier and surf boats, and more sea kayakers acquiring surf and whitewater boats, might we see some spill into sea kayak designs…?

Maybe an upside of Pyranha buying P&H could be that the folks who designed the Inazone etc… might get some imput on a sea kayak?