Sometimes

When your own boats are 3000 miles away, any boat will do. Cam River, Cambridge, UK

:slight_smile:
Nice tree, too.

Well done. That boat has probably never moved so gracefully at any other time during its life in the rental fleet.

That looks like late summer/early fall, not just from the tree leaves but the thick, well-grown vegetation and the more somber tones of the vegetation overall.

It’s the bloke at the helm that counts, Mate :wink:

They should pay you to paddle that ugly boat.
I know… if ya can’t say somethin’ nice, don’t say anything at all.
But it’s just so ugly!

One of my other boats, same color as the rental!

Now that’s a beautiful boat.

My first, Maid Maicelph.

My Sawyer Summersong that I restored.

Beautiful. I need to get someone to build me a Maid Maicelf.

@Andy_Szymczak said:
When your own boats are 3000 miles away, any boat will do. Cam River, Cambridge, UK

I have been surprised twice by two different guys, each named John, on separate occasions that paddled a 10 foot kayak and kept up or passed the long seakayaks doing 3.5 to 4.5 mph.

Looks like you’re having a nice time there in England. Some of the locals in the canoe club I paddled with in Yorkshire last month use shorter rec style kayaks like you have there , but most used whitewater playboats and solo pack canoes, all of which were well-suited for their narrow, shallow and winding canals and rivers. We had to negotiate lots of snags from those overhanging stream-side willows that are common along the banks…

The club did have some longer boats that I apparently could have borrowed for paddling (I had brought a 12’ folder) – there are a lot of local paddler clubs in the UK that have loaner gear, apparently. I got very fast and generous responses from the group that I ended up paddling with when I posted a notice announcing my visit to the region on the “Song of the Paddle” forum that a lot of UK boaters connect through. I highly recommend it to anyone heading to Britain who wants to paddle while there.

That was two years ago, in the fall. Cam river is twisty, a long boat here wouldn’t be much fun. We followed up the paddle with a pub crawl, my son in law was with me. Be back in the UK and a couple of other countries next spring.