Songs to paddle by

I never thought I’d meet another
Lenny Gallant fan… I moved from N.S. about 9 years ago and felt lost with out Lenny and Jeff Hennesy (a lesser known singer)

It’s good to meet another fan
Lennie and Amy just had a baby girl (Amelie I think.) I took him to see the Westray Miners’ memorial park last year, his rendition of “Coal Black” was especially powerful that night.

He’s a great songwriter and a greater guy.

As conditions start to get really “big”,
I can hear in my head the theme to “Victory at Sea” (for those of you old enough to remember!).

Tony

Now that you remind me
I have had that running in my head as I came towards the take out.

I think that Lennie and
Jeff worked on the Westray musical I saw the two of them in concert together in Bridgewater if I remember right. That’s very cool about the baby!

Train
Last summer Sing and I teamed up to tow a tired paddler across Richardson Lake as thunderheads gathered. I started belowing “Train Kept a rollin’ All Night Long.”

It made Sing (out front) paddle harder. I think he was trying to get away.

Blackfoot Version
Train Train kept a rolling all night long

Brian

Temagami
I did a ten day canoe camping trip. We went up the Northwest Arm of Lake Temagami, portaged to Lake Obabika, then Lake Wakimika, then ended up returning from the north via Lake Kokoko. If you have not been to Lake Kokoko, you have not seen a truly lovely lake. 70 miles in 10 days. I have never been as buffed in my life, before or since. It was a great initial canoe trip though. Learned tons and became a real canoeist.

randino

Train Train
(in my best jerry reed voice)

HELL! Son,

we wanted to cross that lake, not BOIL IT OFF!

http://www.vlyrics.com/b/blackfoot10282/traintrain333940.html

Its a jammer for sure
Gotta like it

We played it
in my high school band XX years ago. I still have the LP recording.

Taj

That sounds like a great trip
my aunt and uncle do guided tours all through the lakes, their camp is on a small one, I can’t recall the name of it at the moment but the lodge is called Papa John’s. Northern Ontario has some truly breathtaking scenery, I grew up there. I’m glad you had such a great time!

Local in Northern California (Buffalo)
Norton Buffalo’s Another Day

for those eternal summer days when the swell of the water rolls and carries you among gulls, seals and otters, and you imagine never going back to the real world…

By the way, the Buffalo is a very avid sea kayaker.

I agree with Rick
Rick_S you are so right, Im a Rock lover at heart… But I listen to other music depending on the occasion and for the water there is nothing better than Jimmy B. Makes you feel like your on a tropical vacation!!!

Susan Hamlin
Live or on CD

http://www.susanhamlin.com

Just a shameless plug for a fellow upstater.

Jimmy for Paddling
Rick_S you are so right, Im a Rock lover at heart… But I listen to other music depending on the occasion and for the water there is nothing better than Jimmy B. Makes you feel like your on a tropical vacation!!!

The River Bard & Paddlesnake Symphony’s
"I’m a Yakker", “When Men Wear Skirts”, “Yakking Off”, “River Widow”, “Wouldn’t it be Nice to be a Fish?”, Jimmy Buffet, Genesis - “Home by the Sea”, and many songs made up as I go.

Here’s another version of the Row Your Boat song from a Northern Outdoors Penobscot River Rafting t-shirt:

“Row, row, row

your boat gently down

a raging bone crushing

life threatening

Class V stream

merrily merrily merrily merrily

Life is but a dream.”

Bif Naked when things get rough
In my head, gets the adrenaline going.

If on a canoe trip
If on a canoe trip down south it’s gotta be… “Dueling Banjos” of course

Variation of a childhood song