Sonoma County California paddling

Looking for local paddles and people to go with. Share your favorite local places to paddle

What type of paddling do you like to do? Canoe trip down flat water part of Russian River? White water kayaking on white water (upper) segment? Fishing on Lake Sonoma? Kayak or SUP surfing at Dillan Beach? Something different?

Experienced SOT paddler, but have a new Pygmy Ronan and need to gain some sit inside experience. I am capable of wet exit and re-boarding. Prefer some less challenging opportunities to start with.

For sit inside experience, I would strongly recommend taking an introduction to Sea kayaking class from a reputable shop. In Sonoma, probably the best one is Clavey Paddlesports in Petaluma. I work for Sea Trek in southern Marin, if you want to drive a bit (obviously a place I would recommend, but maybe I ambiased). Seatrek.com.

To find people to paddle with, I recommend connecting with Petaluma paddlers, an email list. http://www.rockandwater.net/mailman/listinfo/petalumapaddlers

Another option would be the Bay Area sea kayakers, which is a little more Bay Area oriented than Sonoma. Bask.org

Places to paddle in Sonoma that come to mind for you include Lake Sonoma, the flat water parts of Russian River, the Petaluma River (tidal salt water river in Petaluma that goes to SF Bay), Tomales Bay (be careful, especially if you go near the mouth), Drakes Bay in Pt Reyes, Americano Esterro, and Bodega Bay.

1 Like

Thanks. I did take a course from Sea Trek a while ago.