sore hands

trillium, feathered versus non feathered
was NOT developed for bracing purposes. When feathered blades appeared, most kayaks were so porky that bracing was largely irrelevant.

There were two influences on feathering. Wind resistance of an upper blade slicing forward, and having an upper blade feathered to avoid hitting slalom gates and incurring a penalty. Both considerations may be a bit outdated, and certainly irrelevant for many paddlers.

I am waiting to see whether people have more forearm cramping with non-feathered paddles, compared to feathered paddles. I believe that, if properly done, the rotating of the control hand on a feathered paddle can be favorable for forearm muscles, while the non-control hand can relax substantially when it is not pulling. I would appreciate reports from zero feather paddlers on how they keep from gripping chronically.

how they keep from gripping chronically.
I don’t know why you would think that paddling unfeathered would lead to always gripping the paddle?

Gripping?

– Last Updated: Oct-24-09 1:05 PM EST –

Not clear on why you'd grip more with unfeathered. I swap around between about 15 degrees and zero, so probably qualify. If anything I have to remember to hang onto the paddle more in higher winds, because my tendency is to grip it so loosely I am prone to dropping it periodically.

Pogies
I have found that using pogies allows me to relax my grip on the paddle without thinking about it.