SOT Kayak Recommendations Needed

But A Number Of Dry Bags
You’ll find uses for them as you get more into paddling. You might want to wander the shoreline on foot. Dry footwear comes in handy at times. I’ll use my kayak to get to places where I’ll wander for miles with my camera.

Carry lots of water. I carry soft coolers with the stiff liners removed.

PFD
You probably want to rethink that cheap PFD when you have to use it. I have the Venus 11 and am now buying a better PFD. If I have to wear it (99% of the time) the cheap one aggravates my back. With the high back seats you need a high back PFD. I’m looking at the V-Eight, not sure of the brand but its a mesh PFD with just enough floatation to keep you alive if you end up in the water. Be safe my friend. You and I bought the kayaks for the same reasons.

Congratulations!
Have fun with your new kayak! If you find the high back seat too hard, just add a half inch to 2 inches of foam under the seat or on top. HomeDepot and others (Target) sell these pads for kneeling on when in the garden…they work well. It will also raise you a little higher which should help with paddling angle. Regarding camera bag: a heavy duty Hefty bag with the slide close tab works very well for me. I can set the camera between my legs or even in the well (back of seat) for easy access. Great that you got the Venus to fit in your car…easier than any rack,except if raining. Enjoy and hope you get lots of great photos.

Thanks, all!
Thanks to all of you for all your excellent help with my purchase decisions.

My final equipment ended up consisting of the Venus 11 kayak, the AquaBound carbon/carbon paddle, a Malone cart to get the kayak to and from the launch spots to the car, the PFD & whistle, a paddle leash, 2 dry bags (1 med & 1 lg), a clear dry pouch for my smartphone, an insulated lunch/drink bag, a pool noodle to cut up and use to protect the top of the kayak from the hatch of my car when transporting it, a couple of tie-downs (one that came with the cart, and one for tying down the car’s hatch), a tarp to protect my car’s upholstery, and the eyeglass float thingy.

That was a bit of money all at once, but I think I’m outfitted enough to get started. I’m sure there will be other things I’ll realize I need after getting out there.

Speaking of getting out there, I am signing up for a 3-1/2 hour kayaking instruction course (on the water) this coming Sunday. It covers the basics of kayaking, but also covers safety and other information for kayaking on the bay, rescue techniques, recovery techniques when you fall off (or intentionally get off) in the water, etc.

After that, I’ll be taking off on my own, but will take it slowly and safely when I’m alone out there. I’ve also put out feelers for people to kayak with and have gotten some responses from women my age. Hopefully, that will reduce the times I am kayaking alone.

Probably waaay more than you wanted to know, but (in case you can’t tell) I’m so excited and eager to get started on my new adventures on Sarasota Bay!

Thanks, again,

sara-bay

Thanks for the encouragement!
Thanks for your advice and encouragement Nana-k… In what part of the country do you kayak? I’d love to share photos with you - are you on Flickr or Pinterest or some other photo sites? You can see some of my photos at www.susan-molnar.artistwebsites.com.

Happy kayaking!!

Thanks, Jimx
Thanks, Jimx - nice to learn of inexpensive solutions after spending all that money on my initial gear. :slight_smile: