SOT vs Sit-In for Commuting

Yup. Could Have "Just Done It."
unfortunately, OP has been psyched out by all the advice and options… Just to paddle across a little protected bay in the summer time when/where an inexpensive, used 10-12’ SOT would have been more than appropriate if not “perfect” (by others’ expectations)…

sing

The more drains that get put in…

– Last Updated: May-21-11 9:42 AM EST –

--The more it clogs the plumbing.

oceanview - Don't feel "humiliated". One can only be humiliated, if they allow themselves to suffer! Or, as Eleanor Roosevelt said, "The only one who can make you feel inferior is yourself." Keep making attempts, you will learn, and ultimately prevail.

How did he tell you to get in/out?
Did it involve putting the boat parallel to the dock or beach, placing a paddle across the back of the cockpit, and using that as a bracing device?

If so, a gigantic razzberry to that instructor!

It’s much easier to get in by standing straddling the kayak, then sitting straight down into the seat and bringing legs in (together if the cockpit is wide enough, one by one if it’s not). Do it in shallow water, maybe only 6" deep or so, to start, and in sandy or rocky bottom (NOT SOFT MUD!). Getting out is pretty much the reverse procedure. If you can only take one leg out at a time, steady the boat in the shallow water by putting that foot down on the ground underwater.

After you get used to it in shallow water, go a little deeper and deeper. You do want to eventually be able to enter and exit using the paddle-across-the-back routine (useful for deep-water docks). But it’s not necessary to learn that way first. Unfortunately, that seems to be the way it’s usually taught first.

I once watched a heavy woman struggle to enter her kayak via the paddle-across-the-back method. She kept dumping over. I suggested she try the easier straddle-and-sit way, and off she went!

Maybe he did teach you the easier method and you couldn’t do that. But I’d be surprised if you couldn’t do it with a SOT. Keep trying, and good luck!

Been paddling for a decade.
Got stuck in a borrowed SINK on Saturday and fell in trying to climb out.Laughed and decided I’ll stay with SOT.

another option
Stand-up-Paddleboard (SUP)

for what you describe, it’s what i’d use

He did show me the paddle across back
method Pikabike. So what I’d do is manage to lift my behind off the seat and then get off balance as I tried to bring my legs up and out. Every time I tried to get out, I’d get my behind up and then my arms would collapse. I’ve emailed the instructor a few times and one of the issues he’s brought up that i hadn’t thought about is that I had been paddling for the first time in my life, for three hours straight before I tried my first attempt to get out. He speculated that my arms might have been tired and urged me not to get discouraged. One of the reasons I’m so confused is that even though I am overweight, up until last year I’ve always worked out at a gym. that said, my upper body strength has always lagged behind my legs. One of my friends is letting me borrow his kayak - a fairly inexpensive perception patriot - to practice getting in and out. It has a large cockpit. We’ll see how it goes - I’m willing to give it another shot but if I’m still stuck, will go for a SOT.

Seadart and Sing, I really appreciate your encouragement. If this last attempt doesn’t work, I’ll be paddling a SOT within the week!