SOT vs Sit-In for Commuting

Oh boy
Celia - thanks for the input - getting wet and going into the drink isn’t the concern. I’ve done it from a sailboat. My concern is the self-rescue and you’re right - I’ll shut up and wait and see. My “oh boy” is about the suit - I honestly don’t think there’s one out there that would fit me (unless he’s carrying plus-sized suits) and i’ve had enough shame in my life at being overweight. I don’t want to put myself in a situation that I’m ashamed at not being able to fit into something that the rest of the world can. I need to rethink kayaking I guess. I’m starting to freak out about my weight as a hindrance.

Dry practice
I was lucky in that my first lesson had us doing the re-entry practice on shore first, before even touching water. Of course, that was easy since there was no need to do “the swimming pool lunge”. But it allowed us to try some of the mechanics before adding the deep-water factor (since he had us go directly to deep water after the dry practice). It took me an awfully long time and lots of effort to do that first re-entry, in the process of which my ungloved hands became numb. The drysuit, booties, and neoprene cap we all wore protected everything else, but jeez the water in Anacortes was cold. Lots of practice later on hugely reduced the time required.

OTOH, the first time I tried a SOT re-mount, no practice was needed. The caveat is that that was on a warm, flat river. Later on I found out that trying to remount in surf was another matter…so…

Whether SOT or SINK, there will be a point when the recovery practice should move to rougher water, because that’s where you’re more likely to capsize.

Meanwhile, I think a mountain is being made out of a molehill. There’s no reason why a SOT can’t work for the OP’s stated conditions. She has knowledge of water behavior, and I suspect that’s more important than the question of SOT vs. SINK.

Whoa; don’t give up

– Last Updated: May-11-11 3:39 PM EST –

Don't be ashamed. I see more than a few overweight people riding bikes. Yeah, I admit they don't look good, especially if they're struggling, but the fact is that they are out there WORKING ON IT! For that alone, they get kudos that the naysayers don't deserve.

They are so much braver and more committed to their goals than someone who is less out of shape but won't put the effort into building towards what he/she wants.

The fact that you asked these questions, risked being ridiculed, and are trying to make good choices means you have more than a passing interest in doing it: Commuting by kayak! Do you know how many of us would love to be able to do that? You have a great opportunity to (a) have fun while commuting, (b) lose weight/increase fitness, (c) save gas!, and (d) learn more about the water that you already have knowledge of.

If you do all the above, you also get to (e) laugh at any ridiculers!

Now, for the bathing suit part, can you get some quick-drying undies and a sports bra instead? That allows you to buy different sizes, if need be. So far, I've only ever seen one company that allowed mixing and matching bathing suit tops and bottoms, and unfortunately I can't remember who it was.

That's for the rash guard layer. The protective layer for cold water (the neoprene) is the wetsuit itself. If you're shaped more like a guy is, then the outfitter will probably have suits for big guys that you could use. Trust me, these suits do exist and I've seen 'em worn.

Good luck in your endeavors, and know that we're rooting for your success.

don’t let this stop you.
Nobody looks good in a wetsuit, and nobody in a kayaking class is going to judge the way you look in a wetsuit. 60 pounds overweight isn’t that out of the ordinary, and I’d be surprised if a kayak outfitter doesn’t have suits that will fit you. But if you have concerns, call and ask them about it.

No use talking yourself out of this before giving it a try.

Pikabike - Thanks
for the encouragement. I really REALLY appreciate it. I wear sports bras all the time in my apt. but I’m way too overweight to wear one outside. I have, shall I say, a non-traditional shape for a typical overweight woman. I supposed the “good” news for kayaking is that I don’t have large hips or legs. My legs are muscular and slim and my hips are “narrow” for my size. My weight is in my upper arms and my stomach - I guess I gain weight where guys normally do. I will wear board shorts and a poly T - If i can’t do it in that, then I will have to bow out for now. I so hope I will be able to learn - and I"m reading everything I can get my hands on, but I just can’t deal with putting myself in situations where I feel ashamed of myself, when I’ve tried so hard to work on my confidence as I’m losing weight. Again - thanks for the message and I’ll post after my lesson next week. Hopefully it will be ok.

Another bit of encouragement
I just sold a kayak to a woman who has lost 40 lbs on her way to her goal of 60 lbs off. She credited bicycling for part of this success, and it’s something you might want to consider doing also. That or walking. You don’t need special clothes for them (aside from a bike helmet), and you can wear baggy stuff if you want to.

As Nate mentioned, 60 lbs over is not unusual, so you are definitely not alone!

Real World SOT Remounts …
See it’s fun and easy …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKeW2YFK26A

SOT
First I’ll admit I read some & skimmed over some of the replies. I started kayaking a couple of years ago & decided right off I wanted a SOT. I took 2 starter lessons before buying my yak. The lessons only confirmed for me that I wanted an SOT. Both instructors tried to steer me away from SOTs. I also am a large woman but that wasn’t the reason I bought the SOT. I don’t like feeling enclosed, I don’t like the thought of creepy crawlies being in my yak & me not knowing they’re in there. I do like it that I can dangle my feet in the water as I paddle. My SOT has plenty of storage space with a hatch in front & an open, bungeed area behind my seat. I float local rivers & local lakes. I would highly recommend an SOT. Even if you have tons of experience on the water I would still suggest you always wear a PFD. That way if you flip out & couldn’t get back in you have an advantage of being able to float your yak back to shore with less struggle involved. Plus with an SOT you have the advantage of your yak not filling up with water if you do flip it. I leave my scuppers out of the holes so my yak is always draining water as it comes in. I did my 1st float of the year yesterday. It rained, actually poured, on us. It was really nice to not have to worry about my yak filling with water. Below is a link to my brothers pictures from our float. I’ll warn you, I’m not photogenic but I’m the one in the light blue yak.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2062452283123&set=a.2062448843037.2124090.1299208035&type=1#!/photo.php?fbid=2062451923114&set=a.2062448843037.2124090.1299208035&type=1&pid=32390099&id=1299208035

Go for a surf ski

SOT
I have a small SINK (Perception Swifty), a solo kevlar canoe (Vermont Tupper), and a SOT (Hurricane Phoenix 120), and I regularly use a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (SOT) that belongs to the park service where I volunteer. Although the adorable canoe is my favorite, the most fun to paddle, and the easiest to handle on land due to its light weight, I enjoy all four of these boats. If I could only have one boat, it would probably be a SOT. I’m glad I can have more than one.

For your stated purpose, I think you’d find the SOT to be a perfectly adequate kayak for your commute, and a fun boat for pleasure paddling. If the weight of the boat is not an issue for you, the Tarpons are heavy but stable, durable, and not as barge-like as I expected. The Phoenix is lighter, quicker, and prettier but more expensive. (Also, avoid the 2007 model–they leak.)

Kathy’s comments about the SOT are right on. BTW, Kathy, the photo link didn’t work, darn it.

Like Sissy,I have had SINKs , canoes,
and SOT. Still have the last 2 and will invariably paddle the SOT.I love the freedom to move that a SOT offers.

SOT
Sorry about the link Sissy…I can’t get those linky things to work about 50% of the time. When we stopped to eat lunch I let the others that were in sit ins sit in my SOT. The looks on their faces when they sat down said it all. They agreed it was a lot more comfortable. Lord willing when I can afford it I want to get a used SOT so others can try it. When we got to the take out & were cleaning the yaks out to load them, the woman that was with us squealed. There was a huge wolf spider in the yak with her. I figure it was in there the whole time. Makes me shiver to think about it…eeewwwwww!!!

Had my Lesson - I am Too Fat for a SINK

– Last Updated: May-20-11 6:24 PM EST –

I just got back from my lesson and I'm so humiliated. The good news was that on the water, I did well and my rowing background helped me as far as certain techniques like sculling with the paddle, etc. He had me do a test at the end of the day by following him up a winding tight river and I did well. The bad news - for the life of me I cannot get in nor out of a kayak. While I fit just right - I tried a pungo 120 and an old town dirigo - I didn't have the strength to lift myself up and out of the kayaks. We tried a bulkhead, dock, sandy beach and concrete ramp - and even with the instructor holding the kayak tightly, I couldn't lift myself out. So- despite the fun and success paddling, the day ended with the initially anti-SOT instructor telling me that I needed one for now. I felt so bad - like I tried to do something way beyond my capabilities and I should have known better. Anyway - for those of you who think a woman who is overweight by 60 pounds can still get in and out of a SINK kayak - even tho the positive response is great - it's just not going to work out because of the physics. : (
And PS - the instructor said there was no way that I would be able to re-enter a rec kayak if it flipped - at my weight - so my only option would be to swim to shore. Another reason to get a SOT - or maybe just forget about the whole thing.

No reason to be humiliated
The fact that you took the time to go out and figure out what works for you puts you way ahead of a whole lot of kayakers I have known and read about.

Now that you have decided on a SOT be sure and get some seat time in the model you select before making the final purchase. One of the drawbacks with SOT’s is that it is so much harder to modify or change the seat than with SINKs where foam is easy to add or entire seats can be removed and replaced. There are different seat add-ons (pad + adjustable back) which can be added to SOT. From your original post it seemed the kayak you tried had one of these add-ons. Check out some of the recommended (in this thread) SOT oriented forums for what is available and get one that really suits you and will work with the model SOT you select.

Good luck and get on the water soon.

Mark

it gets better
it will get better.

commute with your SOT to work for a few months and then try SINK again. You’ll be amazed at the change of your abilities.

Your instructor seems not to have
been up to date. Its possible to roll over in your kayak (SINK) if the cockpit is big enough and then come up on your knees and climb out.

As far as self rescues…a double float bag (one on each end of the paddle) and a loop under the boat and wraps around each end and a heel hook rescue should land you back in your boat. The heel hook is just about 100 percent reliable for people of any size. We use double paddle floats for stability when needed in various situations…like yours it might be that you have a flooded cockpit and need stability when entering it before you bail. Others have balance problems or lack strength to climb on.

I am surprised (maybe not so much) that your instructor did not try you with the heel hook rescue. Its on the ACA website.

Something else you could do is to hook up with an Adaptive Paddling instructor. They will work with you as a team to figure out what works for you. They are used to working with functional paraplegics and quads…and really…everyone has some sort of disability.

Agree with kayakmedic
OK - you need to get some proportionate strength back in the right places. Time, work and attendant weight loss will handle much of that.

But… I am trying to figure our why you had to lift yourself fully out of a Pungo rather than going forward first to get into a better position. The cockpit is huge. Not saying that going with a SOT for now wouldn’t work, but that and a couple of other things sound odd.

I like kayakmedic’s idea of finding someone who does adaptive paddling. The level of creativity you will find there may be a bit more helpful as well as encouraging.

Thanks for the encouragement - but…
Celia I don’t understand your comment about going forward first. When I said I couldn’t get out or in - as I wrote I meant upon landing and launching. Just the basic getting in and out, nothing to do with capsize and rescue. Can you explain? Thanks!

Don’t give up .
Find a good SOT and go paddling, the upper body strength will follow.

You very likely can climb back into an SOT with somebody who knows the tricks teaching you. You might consider signing up at your local Y for some strength training classes and instructions on using weights. It will make your paddling a lot easier and fire up your muscles to burn lots more calories. Just concentrate on having fun and not on fitting in to other people’s judgements about what you should be paddling and how.

SOT
Getting in: sit down.

Getting out: stand up.

Fall off? climb back on.

I don’t know why you would even consider a SINK for your stated purpose.

I admire your courage. If I were just starting, I’d probably never try kayaking of any sort after reading some of these responses.

Find yourself a good old used Tarpon and I bet you’ll love it.

Good luck, and have fun.