SOT vs. solo canoe

I will and have taken the Tarpon
into places where I would never take the RF on purpose. places with strong wind and confused waves,places with hard, pointy objects hidden under muddy water.

See here is why the argument gets
fuzzy. I solo camp too and could not disagree more with Al regarding the last statement. I have to think like a hiker for sure. Quetico or Woodland Caribou have these things called portages (french for get your butt out and walk up a cliff for a while then down)…

Just goes to prove environment dictates.

You got rid of your Rapidfire?
Shame… Now that I’ve got a couple of solo strippers, I suppose my fleet could use s SOT… Or a Paddleboard… I wonder if they make a sailboard that doubles as a paddleboard? Need something for those really windy days that conditions rule out open cockpit boats…

Yes, a few months ago.
Once a kayaker, maybe always a kayaker.I have the go-anywhere one (Tarpon) and the fast one(Revenge). I will try an Epic V-8 when it warms up.

You’re right…
But even if you have to pare your gear down to a minimum for long portages, I think a canoe is easier to carry on your shoulders for long distances than a kayak.

Your excellent reviews
of the Rapidfire helped put it and the Spitfire on the short list for my next “hardshell” so this post came as a surprise but after considering what you’re doing with the boat, it really does make sense.

My choices have a lot to do with
my readily available paddling opportunities, which are large lakes and the ocean. I love creeks and rivers but there are few available that are not very rocky. If I get another canoe,it will probably be Royalex.

RapidFire and big water
Now I am in search of a Sea Wind for sure but lacking the moola to pony out the funds for a new one I had a great trip on Lake Superior in Ontario in it.

The trip required a little caution . I paddled early to avoid the worst that she can dish out. I am ready to tackle more from Thunder Bay to Wawa in RF if needed next year. And no I do not have a death wish. I am a gramma.

And RF is going to do for me in Maine this winter. Mostly in the Boothbay area.

Sometimes your noggin and thinking can compensate for less than perfect boat. (yes I do have a spray skirt for RF. At zero degrees I don’t want an entirely open boat inviting frozen toesies)

A kayak portage yoke makes carries
about the same as a canoe.