I have both and own or have owned a fine example of each.
I no longer have the solo canoe , but here are my thoughts on comparing the 2.
- The SOT is more versatile. I have run class 2 rapids and danced with 3’ waves with no problem.To be fair,the canoe could probably handle both,just not with me paddling.
- Both can be paddled with a double or single paddle.
- The SOT is a little wetter ride, but not much.
- The SOT can handle as much weight as a canoe,but volume can be an issue.
- The canoe can be very light where SOT tend to be tanks.
- Plastic can take a beating that I would not subject CF to.
The comparison here is a Rapidfire vs. a Tarpon 140.
I’m still trying to talk my way out of another canoe.