Sounds of the Freshwater Drum (and I meant to post this to the General Discussion. Oops)

On the afternoon and early evening of the 4th, I did an upstream-and-back trip on the lower Wisconsin River. I could write at length about the joy I find on that river, which, though it would be surprising to some, includes the challenge of going several miles upstream when the current at many locations is fast enough that the water churns quite violently through fallen trees and just below the drop-offs at the tail ends of sandbars. But in particular, this time I was reminded of how much I enjoy hearing the sounds of the freshwater drum. For the uninitiated, check this out:

https://musicofnature.com/drumming-of-the-drums/

I didn’t hear a single drum on the upstream portion of the trip, but I heard lots of them on my way back down. Because of that, I find myself wondering if they are more active in the late afternoon and early evening than at mid-day, or if the difference was only because I tend to avoid their favorite habitat on my way upstream and seek out that habitat on my way back downstream. The places I hear them with great regularity, all summer long, are zones of deep, fast water, as well as within wide zones of slower current and confused turbulence which sometimes develop immediately below a particularly concentrated zone of fast current.

On the lower Wisconsin River, I never hear whole groups of drums like in the recording linked above. At most I’ll hear two at the same time, with the sound of one fading in as the sound of the previous one fades out, and though that pattern may repeat itself with some regularity, most times I hear just one fish at a time. Yesterday there was never a long wait before hearing another, if I was in the right habitat for them. Typically, the sound starts out being very faint, then rapidly gets louder, becoming very loud if you happen to pass directly over the fish, and then the sound fades away. I was traveling roughly 8 mph relative to the river bottom within these swifter zones of current on my return trip, possibly close to 9 mph at times (speed through the water itself was less, of course), and based on the time I believe it took for the sound of an individual fish to become audible, become loud, then fade out (just a guess now, in hindsight - I didn’t actually measure the time), I calculate that I was often hearing an individual fish over a distance of roughly 140 feet of travel distance. Hey, if I used a hydrophone like that woman who made the recording noted above instead of just my own ears and the hull of a composite boat, maybe I’d hear many at the same time.

Anyway, I mention this because it’s one of those intangible aspects of summer on that river that make me smile, like humid foggy evenings, barred owls talking to each other when half a mile apart, and dry flood channels in the woods which, if one wears a headlamp at night, are crowded with shining emerald-green pinpricks of light made by the eyes of huge numbers of wolf spiders which come out hunting once the sun goes down. I’m sure many of the nature buffs here have similar ‘triggers’ for thoughts that go something like, “ah, this is why I like coming out here.”

A salt water variety, but still a drum. listen to the first few seconds of this you tube vid. Skip the ad. This guys underwater camera has better tone quality. https://youtube.com/watch?v=An-DdyjK6ws The drumming is similar.

Am I the only one who thought you were talking about a musical instrument? Regardless, cool sound. I have never heard one of those.

@pikabike said:
Am I the only one who thought you were talking about a musical instrument? Regardless, cool sound. I have never heard one of those.

Nope. That was the first thing I thought of: percussion; maybe tribal drums - but not by fish. Learned something!

Nice post, I knew nutin about freshwater drumming. (cymbal crash) I’m close to the jersey shore and have caught larger saltwater Drum, they can be noisey but fun.

Rookie earlier this year on the Owcklawawa river we paddled past a drum circle in the woods. … at the rehab facility.

@Overstreet said:
Rookie earlier this year on the Owcklawawa river earlier this year we paddled past a drum circle in the woods. … at the rehab facility.

I would have enjoyed that, provided it wasn’t too discordant.

I might have been subconsciously swayed towards percussion drums because the day before the OP (July 4) someone was drumming and chanting, totally hidden from view behind the library. Sounded like something native American.

@Rookie said:

@Overstreet said:
Rookie earlier this year on the Owcklawawa river earlier this year we paddled past a drum circle in the woods. … at the rehab facility.

I would have enjoyed that, provided it wasn’t too discordant.

All I could think about when I heard it was the movie Jumanji with Robin Williams. The fish drumming is more in touch with nature. It takes a certain awareness to hear drum drumming, or squirrels scampering up and down a tree, or lizards rustling in the leaves, or an osprey chastising you for violating his area. Such awareness doesn’t need drums to sense the change of seasons. It knows long before the masses that have to be “hit over the head” with lets say huge fall color changes.

@Overstreet said:

All I could think about when I heard it was the movie Jumanji with Robin Williams. The fish drumming is more in touch with nature. It takes a certain awareness to hear drum drumming, or squirrels scampering up and down a tree, or lizards rustling in the leaves, or an osprey chastising you for violating his area. Such awareness doesn’t need drums to sense the change of seasons. It knows long before the masses that have to be “hit over the head” with lets say huge fall color changes.

I paddle lakes so my water music is quite different than yours.