Southern California paddling

On our way to Baja in April we’ll have a couple of days in southern California to kayak. I’m thinking one day in San Diego and one day around Newport. Where would you go in Southern California if you only had two days? We’re experienced northern California ocean paddlers and will have all our own gear. Thanks for any suggestions.

Marine Room to Point Loma -Shelter Islan

– Last Updated: Mar-16-08 1:08 AM EST –

Launch at Avenida de la Playa - paddle 9 miles along the La Jolla Coast with sea caves and cliffs, kelp beds to Mission bay... can call it quits there, or go 13 more miles down around Point Loma and into San Diego bay take out at Shelter Island.

Waves can break pretty far out going around Point Loma.
If you post ahead of time likely folks here would go with you.

Here's a trip report I did a long time ago for the last 13 miles.

http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?477

Newport to Dana Point
is one of my favorite paddles down here. It is about 18 miles. A nice roundtrip is from Newport or Dana Point to Goff Island and back. Not as desolate, rough or as scenic as Northern California, but the warmer water and air are nice.

Mission Bay to S.D. bay …
Experience the “dude” SoCal culture for a few minutes then paddle on the ocean to another, more civilized world in Pt. Loma. Launch from the Bahia hotel in MB and land @ Kellogg Beach in SD or go on to Coronado.

Get some pizza @ Gabbianos in Mission Beach and follow up with Mexican @ Hector’s next to West Marine afta’.