Spare Paddle Size

So, I’m more of a 57"-60" paddle, while my wife is more of a 54" or so. In buying our first set of canoe paddles and getting a spare, is it better to buy one short enough for the shorter paddler or long enough for the taller paddler, or am I thinking way to much about this? My inclination is to get a third paddle that is 54" so that she is more comfortable if she needs the spare and I can just deal with the shorter length if I need the spare. Any wisdom on this? Thanks!

Get a spare for each of you, if there’s any chance of having to use it very long.
I’m very sensitive to paddle length and much prefer a paddle of appropriate length and blade width.

1. each of you can adjust a couple of inches. Six inches is a lot of adjustment for her… Are you really tall? Very few people I have met need a sixty inch paddle… Most try a shorter and are happier with that… It seems that some paddlers bring their top hand way up over their nose… exhausting.

Most important is shaft length. You are probably working with a 38 inch shaft and she a 33.

@kayamedic said:
56. each of you can adjust a couple of inches. Six inches is a lot of adjustment for her… Are you really tall? Very few people I have met need a sixty inch paddle… Most try a shorter and are happier with that… It seems that some paddlers bring their top hand way up over their nose… exhausting.

Most important is shaft length. You are probably working with a 38 inch shaft and she a 33.

I’m probably more toward the 57" than the 60".

When it comes to spare paddles- if I need one I’m just glad one is available- not too picky at that point- might feel differently if I was on an expedition and had to use something for many days.

Hey PsychPaddler. How tall are you and how tall is your partner? Will you always paddle together or would anyone ever paddle solo? What is your goal for the spare paddle (variety or just safety)?

I think your intuition is correct in that one can always use a paddle that is too short, especially in an emergency.

I might suggest that you start with just two paddles and focus on getting decent paddles that fit. Then after you spend some time paddling you can decide who should be first to get a back-up paddle…maybe it’s whoever dislikes their main paddle…or whoever is most curious to try something different. I’d hesitate to buy an in-between size unless it’s something super cheap meant only for back-up.

Another option you have is to get a bent shaft paddle as your back-up to give both of you a chance to experience a bent shaft to see if that’s what you prefer. In general it’s best to first develop basic skills with a straight shaft.