Spare paddle

GP Storm on foredeck
My storm has exactly the same blades as my primary (Superior Carbon) but 12" shorter loom. Same feel in the water and super to roll with.

Sometimes carry wing on aft deck (or GP up front while using wing) - but that’s not really a spare - just variety.

Before that it was my former primary - a Werner San Juan on back deck. When that was my primary my spare was a heavy Harmony plastic/alum.

spare

– Last Updated: May-14-05 9:03 AM EST –

My spare is dependant on what I'm doing. If I am only going out for a day or 2 , or are going to go play in caves, I usually carry a storm paddle. for rolling I prefer the storm over any other paddle. If I'm going out for several days or a week or more. I carry a 4 piece carbon N12 crankshaft Archipelligo Lendal (216)
my main paddle is a PP carbon crankshaft 214 Lendal Nordkapp 4 piece. the combination of my spare Lendal and my regular Lendal paddle gives me lots of options for wave and weather.

225cm Werner Little dibber
er dipper. Or anything else that comes apart. Seems I"m paddling more and more with one piece paddles so anything that fits is what works. Right now it’s an aluminum shaft Sequel.

I took a trip in baja and had a beat up split wooden paddle for a spare,then I broke my Current Designs paddle and finished the trip with that tired old paddle. I’d be careful about using super light paddles for spare paddles.

GP with carbon ferrule
MY spare is a GP either my carbon fiver one piece or the cedar two piece with carbon fiber ferrule. It is nice to mix the euro with the GP, different muscles and tempo, the GP is great in a big wind as well. It takes up less space too.

Spare paddle

Werner Little Dipper and Shuna in glass.

Same here: Same Paddle, Diff Lengths
Like mhackett, I also have two identical paddles of different (220 and 230) lengths.

I like the 230 going down river and across calm flatwater. I switch to the 220 going upriver or against the wind on flatwater. Sometimes I even recombine them into two 225s. Very versatile!

werner kalliste

Aquabound carbon fiber AMT Expedition
or Harmony Sea Passage.

amd if in the kind fo conditions

– Last Updated: May-14-05 8:36 AM EST –

likely to break your primary could you get home with the behemoth? Rhetorical question only, but you need to answer it for yourself.

Ditto…
…but my “storm” paddle is 18" shorter than my regular paddle. It’s the same size blades with a 3" loom, rather than 21".