Sparrow Hawk Saga

I tried the Sparrow Hawk today and alas, I’m too old, too stiff and too large (even though I am handsome , debonaire and slender at 175 lbs and 5’6). Getting in and out was like a Marx Brothers movie and gettng back into my Gulf Stream was like putting on a pair of old slippers. So there is a Kevlor Sparrow Hawk on sale at $1800 odd. If anyone wants to know the dealer, let me know.

Nick

Sorry to hear it didn’t work out…
Sometimes, no matter how much you like that BMW Z3, it just dosen’t make as much sense as the Volvo. I’m sure they will sell the Sparrow Hawk, just not to me. After all, an expensive divorce dosen’t sound very entertaining. But I’m not going to compare the wife to an old pair of slippers though…

–Jeremy

175 too much?
So 175 is too much weight for the boat?

Gulfstream is very much like an old slipper. Maybe you should check out an Anas Acuta, Pintail, or Aquanaut. All are more responsive with livelier hulls than a Gulfstream. The Aquanaut is also faster. The Anas is probably the closest to the Sparrow Hawk, but with more rocker.

That Would Have Been
the boat I would have gotten had I not bought the Montuak. At this point, I can’t afford to buy either, and they’re both a little high volume for most of the paddling I do.

Nope, I just have to build my own. But it’s probably a good deal for someone going into a higher performance, relatively lower volume boat.

sing

I was wondering about that
my recollection is that it’s a small boat.

It’s a small one
I saw one–the only one I’ve ever seen–on top of a car in Juneau.

I was drooling over it. But I can’t justify buying one after having built the Merganser.

Though it sure would be light…

paddled with someone in one
a few years back,we were crossing the Severn on a cold December day, she went paddling off into the bay away from the group,I dashed up and asked what’s up,turns out she had paddled all the way across with the right footbrace missing but didn’t tell anyone,not until getting around the point when the wind/waves got bigger was it a problem. “why didn’t you say something?”

my $.02 I bet a P&H vela or Tchaika would be more forgiving.

Hi Nick,
Were you actually unable to enter it, or did it just seem to require more effort than you were used to?

The Hawk/Sparrow Hawk/Arctic Hawk series has fairly small cockpits and low decks. These make exit and entry a bit more challenging than on a boat like the Gulfstream (but not as challenging as the typical skin-on-frame). But there are several benefits: much better thigh bracing and boat control, lower-volume cockpit which takes on less water, and more room for your arms as you take different strokes–you can take a nearly horizontal stroke without hittint the deck, and strokes taken at crazy angles when the waves are tossing you around are also easier. Finally, and most importantly, you can tuck better and lay back much better, so rolling is much easier, forward or lay-back.

I can imagine that being used to a Gulfstream, the Sparrow Hawk would feel snug–but that’s not necessarily bad. To me, the Gulfstream feels like a barge. (I have a wooden Hawk, and previously owned an Arctic Hawk.)

Just a thought. Maybe if the owner would let you rent it for a month so you could see if you got used to it… ?

Sanjay

Sparrow Hawk
Thanks everyone for the replies. Jeremy, I do have both a z3 and a Volvo ( the Volvo is ancient).

Also, I will try the Aquanaum as it has been suggested to me before. Thanks.

As far as getting used to it, I figure, hell! I’m 65.(Is ‘hell’ capitalized ?) I’m begining to like my creature comforts. I usually do one 12 -14 miles trip every couple of weeks. I was thinking of taking a televion.

Once again, thanks very much for the replies. It’s good to know you folks are out there.

Nick

thanks Sanjay
I think I may end up building an eskimo kayak, or trying an Artic Hawk or something. You are right, the Gulfstream does feel like a barge, but It does feel nice and ‘adequate’ in recent cold weather trips. 12-14 miles.

Nick

thanks Sanjay
I think I may end up building an eskimo kayak, or trying an Artic Hawk or something. You are right, the Gulfstream does feel like a barge, but It does feel nice and ‘adequate’ in recent cold weather trips. 12-14 miles.

Nick