Spooky Trees, Black Water- Sou. Carolina

“Woodbury Tract — a newly created 25,668-acre nature preserve along the Little Pee Dee River in South Carolina”

“Kayakers can cruise through a truly wild place that offers rare sites for riverbank camping.”

-------------

Read more:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/01/19/travel/escapes/19adventurer.html?8dpc

thanks
thanks for pointing out the tract. pretty close to home for me. putting it on my list of places to explore. -harry

Thanks posts like this are a nice read

thats cool.
i am going to have to check that out. BTW you all should Check out sparkleberry swamp if you like that kind of paddeling. It basically the head waters of lake marion.

Be sure to check out the already-
protected Ebenezer Creek, just across the state line in Georgia. We put in at the mouth where the creek enters the Savannah, and easily paddled up 3 miles along the channel. The bolls and knees of the cypress and tupelo are amazing.

SpookytreesBlackwater
Where is this in relation to Myrtle and is there an outfitter nearby that rents canoes? Thanks…

df

thanks for posting this…
…yes, those knees are amazing all right, but they sure make for hazardous paddling when you can’t see them just below the surface!

I’d welcome an email from anyone who has paddled this area…wondering if I should only go with a guide or get topos & just explore…

nice, also consider
merchant millpond state park in the northern part of carolina is also a nice paddle and has remote camping options