Sport Rack

Anybody ever use the Sportrack system? it is allegedly made by Thule.

Rather than spend $400 on a Thule the Sportrack has two aluminum bars which are secured via straps into the car and doors close. They come with foam blocks which slide onto the bars.

it is not a permanent system. Comes off after each use. Looks good and for $80 just wondering.

Here is a link;

http://www.sportrack.com/abr527/

here is install: http://www.sportrack.com/uploads/6208/ABR527.pdf

I cannot find any reviews.

I suppose it is similar but a bit better than just placing the kayak on foam blocks and strapping down.

Money is tight so i’m thinking this may be a solution however I just cannot find any information aside from places that want to sell it to me.

just use foam
I don’t see how it provides any advantage over foam blocks.

Foam blocks
I see your point. Any experience with the blocks and straps through the car? I would love to get a Tuhle Hulivator system but I’d be looking at $700 for whole set up as opposed to $50 for blocks and straps. Just concerned about safety.

two extremes
Hullavotor set and foam blocks - those are two extremes. Hullavotor is about as expensive as you can get, foam blocks as cheap. There are middle options.

I have used foam blocks on their own from time to time, but the strapping through the car is a bit inconvenient, and doesn’t seem as secure as a mounted rack (like Yakima or Thule). I have put some scratches on cars with the foam right on the roof.

Better would be something with a cross bar, whether a factor cross bar or a Yakima or Thule. You could use foam blocks on that, or get saddles or J-racks.

Strapping through the car
can interfere with side curtain air bags.

Also, when it rains heavily the straps wick water into the car.

Strapping through the car

Posted by: sissy103 on Aug-09-12 4:50 AM (EST)

can interfere with side curtain air bags.

Also, when it rains heavily the straps wick water into the car.

Good to know.

Thanks