Spray Skirt Mod

-- Last Updated: Apr-04-08 10:45 AM EST --

So...i read about this about a year back on teh Surfzone at boatertalk....

How to make your plain old shockcorded neoprene spray skirt more bomber and dry.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/corgimas/sprayskirtmod

Liquid Latex....
the really high end ww skirts have a band of latex to them at the edge of the cockpit coaming to help make a better more-dry seal to the boat....
hmm....i could go to my local XXX shop and get some (and get really embarrassed doing that) or go to an art supply place and get it much cheaper and easier.....
Jerry's Artarama.....under $10 for 16oz.....
just paint it on.....
check out the pix above....

simple simple simple.....
i painted a 2" band all along the underside edge of the skirt where the coaming will hit the skirt....this will seal better and also add a layer of rubbing resistance to help the skirt last longer too....
I added a band at the top of the tunnel so that it will hold up vertical better as well...more grippy now....also makes a better seal as well...

made my basic IR shockwave dryer than it was....it also holds on better as well to the coaming edge....

r

I’ve been thinking about doing that on
a seasock and another deck that is disappointingly leaky. Have you thought of attaching it to your cockpit rim inside out to do the application?

Dogmaticus

Another idea.
You can get a bicycle inner tube that is slightly smaller than your cockpit. Put on your skirt, then add the inner tube under the cockpit rim so it seals your skirts bungee cord. Just make sure you run your grab loop under the inner tube, so if you need to pull it also takes off the inner tube.

Along the same lines if your really craft. Cut that bike tube and glue it to your cockpit so you now have a latex seal on your cockpit rim.

I wish I had photos to show you, but I have not done this in years!

Ken

PeakUK

cool
A layer of AquaSeal can be used to similar purpose.

AquaSeal is urethane adhesive that NRS sells.

Same stuff
Also can make an excellent seal for compression gasket style hatches like on Epics and CD Caribou. Makes a rubber on rubber seal instead of rubber on gelcoat.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com