Stand-up-paddle Canoe?

Because of back & hip problems, I’m looking for a lightweight canoe, tough enough to scrape the occasional rocks and submerged tree stumps, that I can either stand up and paddle, or paddle from a high seat, like a 2-step step stool . . . a kayak would be OK if that were the absolute best alternative, but I’d prefer a canoe. Any ideas?

Can you kneel?
If you can kneel, you can paddle with your back in nearly the same postion as when standing, and your hips flexed even less than when sitting on a high stool. I think sitting on a high step-stool in a canoe would require a big, stable canoe, which of course puts limits on what you can do (windy days, tight maneuvering, etc.).

Pick a small tandem from Wenonah
and a Maine Guide Paddle. Or learn to pole.

Canoes around here are usually heavy but most canoeists in Maine stand and use a Guide paddle or pole all the time.

Its not the paddle that is the issue…its matching your height to the appropriate sized tandem that you can get on and off the water.

Kevlar Explorer or Esquif Mistral
The Mad River Explorer is a much loved poling canoe. You could certainly stand and paddle it. The Kevlar version might be light enough to suit you.

The Mistral is a lovely poling hull made from Twintex which is plenty tough and light. You ought to investigate Twintex and decide if it’s for you.

SUP
Why not try a stand up paddleboard? They are light, designed for standing and are easy to paddle. They don’t draw much water and are pretty tough.

If you decide on a canoe, get one designed for fishing. They are wide and stable.

Beware Twintex Material

– Last Updated: Sep-01-11 11:14 PM EST –

I've owned an Esquif Mistral for almost 2 years now. The Twintex is delaminating and Esquif is supposed to replace it, but it's been 7 weeks now. The jury is still out IMHO, and I don't think I would recommend Twintex myself.

As for possible boats, that Explorer is good, but shallow arch hulls are better on shallow Ozark streams than Mad River's shallow-V. Wenonah Adirondack, Fisherman, and Kingfisher would work o.k. with elevated seat. I bet a Bell Morningstar would work well with elevated seat too.

Also, as guideboatguy mentioned, kneeling allows you to stretch that back. That may be an option. WW

Kayaks and the new hybrid seats are
too low for me. We set up my solo canoe with a seat about 6" off the bottom, footpegs and backband. I can’t kneel and have back and leg issues. This has been a great solution. I use a kayak paddle. As WW said, kneeling is good for the back if you can do that.

The Gator Belly SUP by Bote with Seat!
There’s just what the Doctor Ordered: http://www.boteboard.com/?page=Gator-Belly

It’s got everything you asked for. The ability to Stand. The seat is as high as a 2 step. The bottom couldn’t be made any tougher.

Flatwater only
to be used on flatwater with no wind only

Exactly…
I would think the paddle boards would be very dangerous in anything approaching fast water. Hit a rock standing on one of those things and you would take a major header.

Wickerbutt doing some stand up paddling

– Last Updated: Sep-05-11 7:23 AM EST –

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2403575350075003331eLAMTv

I think he has an 18' Explorer, but there are so many stickers on it that it's hard to tell. Finding the canoe will be easy - where are you going to find the loooong paddle. I'm not sure where Mike got his, but maybe they are easier to find now with all the interest in SUP boards.

Actually…
WW SUPing is all the rage with the thrill-seeker crowd.

They use rotomolded poly boards(instead of fiberglass) with foot straps with quick releases like snowboarders.

Looks like surfing on the river to me.

easy
http://www.shawandtenney.com/stand-up-surf-paddles.html

http://www.shawandtenney.com/catalog/detail.php?ID=6577&Category=Wooden_Paddles&pageNum_cart=/catalog/index.php

T’anks a lot -
Folks, I do appreciate the interest and suggestions – I’ll be checking some of them out and see where we get -

Fun on rivers
SUPs are all over the rivers now. I even saw some on the Ocoee Saturday. Check out the Liquid Logic board. It does a little of everything.