Stella vs V10

Hi, I’m a beginner and would like to ask the opinions of all you folks that have had experience with the Stella and V10. I have only paddled years ago when I was a lifeguard. Which ski should I buy?

Try surfskiinfo.com also

Stellar is a brand, the Epic V10 is a specific boat.

Which stellar model are you looking at?
What conditions do you paddle in? (lake, ocean, river, gulf, pacific, atlantic)
What is the skinniest boat you feel comfortable in / what do you currently paddle? (if anything)
How much time can you dedicate to training each week (how many days/week)?
How much do you want to struggle at first? Do you want a challenge and swimming or just have fun right away?
How much safety margin do you require? (are you paddling alone in the winter or do you paddle with groups in warm water, do you have proper immersion gear, etc. - lower chance of rescue demands a higher safety margin)

Based simply on your statement that you are a beginner, I would NOT recommend the V10 unless you have a well developed Wing paddle stroke (like from a competitive paddling / K1 background) and have very good balance. As you say it was years ago, I dont think you qualify so would strongly urge you into a more stable boat than the V10. The V10 is a strong intermediate to advanced boat. Not quite in the Elite category, but its certainly not a beginner boat or even a beginner/intermediate transition boat. Its an intermediate/advanced transition boat.

If you are in fact a beginner, I would strongly not recommend anything skinnier than 20". This would put you in boats like the Epic V8, V8 pro, Stellar S18S, Think Eze, Fenn Bluefin. Many people want to jump into a skinny boat to go fast but quickly find out you dont go fast when you are swimming, or cannot put down full power because you have to watch stability. A person in a ‘slow’ boat’ at full power is almost always faster than the same person in a ‘fast boat’ that is power limited due to stability. Additionally an unstable boat is a great way to develop poor form. Great form is 75% of going fast and bad habits will have to be unlearned at some point.

If you only paddle dead flat water like small-medium inland lakes, have reasonable balance, are at least somewhat athletic, and require a lower safety margin, you could talk me into recommending a 19" ski like the Stellar SR, Epic V10 Sport, Think Evo, etc.

Another advantage to beginner and intermediate boats is their resale value is better because only the elite value elite boats (because no one else can paddle them!)

Go over to surfski.info and read the forums for a couple weeks for more info.

If you’re a beginner, get a beginner boat. You’ll have more fun, develop proper habits, and can sell it easily to upgrade when the time is right.

I agree with MClmes and he/she gave you a thorough answer. What isn’t clear is if you are a beginner in kayaks or experienced in kayaks and starting as a beginning in a ski. If you are starting in a ski without solid experience in skinny kayaks, then I’d suggest you look at beginner skis such as the Epic V7, Pyranha Octane/Think Nitro or Nelo 510. Anything 18-19" wide or skinnier is going to feel very tippy to a true beginner and might actually turn you away from the sport, and we’d all hate to see that happen. Above these entry level skis it all gets very subjective in a hurry and depends on your skill and balance. TRY ANY BOAT BEFORE YOU BUY IT! And don’t treat your purchase like it is a lifelong commitment. If you love it and stick with it you will outgrow it and sell it as you progress through the sport and chase the next boat. This is normal. Don’t get your learner’s permit in a Ferrari. Start sensible, build your skills, and then graduate up to the next level.

I went from a Tarpon 160 to a Stellar S18S with very little trouble. I only capsized from lack of attention.

MCImes has good advice. I have a surf ski and transitioning to it took me 3 or 4 paddles before I felt comfortable. But I came from a long narrow kayak, so the learning curve was short. Surf ski is a minimalist boat, can’t take much with you, there is no place to put it.

@Andy_Szymczak said:
MCImes has good advice. I have a surf ski and transitioning to it took me 3 or 4 paddles before I felt comfortable. But I came from a long narrow kayak, so the learning curve was short. Surf ski is a minimalist boat, can’t take much with you, there is no place to put it.

How thin of a boat?

19"

21 1/4" on the kayak

Like my cd Extreme.

Beep Paging @Bghunter021@gmail.com… paging @Bghunter021@gmail.com… please report to the Stella vs V10 thread Beep :slight_smile:

@Andy_Szymczak is that a Fenn XT? I recently traded out my Stellar SRg1 for a 2006 XT. I am in love with the way Fenn’s surf and will never go back. Where do you paddle usually?