Stellar kayaks

Does anyone have experience with the Stellar S16 in Advantage construction… I’m thinking of buying one since it weighs only 37 lbs. as compared to my 60 lb. poly 17’ Tempest. I’m looking for a light kayak that quicker than the Tempest. I can sustain about 4.3 mph in the Tempest for about an hour in dead calm conditions but then this 80 year old engine kinda poops out. Hopefully I can sustain this speed or faster for more than an hour with the Stellar. Thoughts?

If you’re looking for a faster, lighter boat, I would suggest that you look at the Current Designs Prana. That I know for sure is a fast boat. The Stellar S16 is probably pretty fast, but I don’t think I’ve paddled that boat. I have paddled the Intrepid 18, which would be my first choice from Stellar, but if you’re not too big, you ought to look at the LV Intrepid. Now that’s a good looking boat.

This past weekend I paddled two Stellar skis and I thought they were awkward and sure didn’t feel a bit faster than the Prana. One of the skis was a 19’2" racer and I swear the Prana would give it a run for the money. The other ski was an 18 footer and again, I think the Prana would pull it. I was using a wing on the skis and a glass Euro on the Prana.

Okay, I realize with the right paddle and the right paddler the skis should run away from the 17’ Prana, but the thing about the Prana is that it is fast and feels fast and it certainly is quicker accelerating and you don’t have to be a great paddler to make it go. It is also very stable for a 21" beam.

Also consider the Epic 16x the higher model is also 37 pounds the base model 41 pounds. Known fast design. I picked up an 18x base model and that one felt super light to me.

Everything is a compromise, of course. I own both a “standard” Epic 18X and an “ultra” Epic 18X. I use the Ultra for races. I love the light weight, but the hull IS more fragile, including a thinner gel coat that is damaged easily by oyster scratches that go all the way into the fibers and requires repair). The heavier performance layup gets scratches, of course, but the same kind of damage is just limited to the gel coat.

So although lifting the Ultra is easy, for me it requires more time in repairs that a standard, heavier hull, depending on where/how you use it.

I don’t have experience with the Stellar layups, but would expect similar results.

Greg

I own and paddle an Epic 16X and find it to be quite efficient and plenty fast for me, but I don’t race, though I do time myself doing laps. The Epic Track Master Plus rudder/skeg system is extremely versatile, should you choose to use either.

As a bonus, the Epic 16X also paddles extremely well with a 44" - 45" ZRE Medium carbon bent shaft paddle for this 5’6" 165 lb paddler.

My wife paddles an Epic V6 and likes it. She always uses the rudder. I don’t paddle this 1st generation V6, because the rudder can’t be deployed or retracted by the paddler - it’s always fully deployed.

Both of the above boats are very secure feeling when paddling - my wife requires a secure feeling.

I haven’t paddled the other boats mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback. on the Epic and CD Prana. Although both look interesting I have the opportunity to demo the Stellar nearby whereas I don’t with the other two. The Stellar is listed for beginner & intermediate which is where I’m at. The Epic & Prana are probably more advanced. For me to buy the Stellar it would have to meet the following criteria:

1. The cockpit & seat would have to be at least as comfortable as the Phase 3 seat in the Tempest …#%$^&* sciatica!
  2. The Stellar has a rudder and I prefer a skeg. I don’t know whether I’d get used to or even want to a rudder. Maybe the demo will answer this.
  3. The WOW factor. I would have to like the Stellar much better than my Tempest and not be tempted to treat myself to a new shiny toy after a long dismal winter.

Other - The weigh factor is a bonus as I can easily load the Tempest in or on my pickup truck. Usually I can back down a boat ramp to the water. The light weigh would preclude the necessity of a cart on where there is no ramp.

Good luck with the cockpit comfort.

I have test paddled the Stellar S16. Overall I liked the boat and almost bought it. I encountered a red flag when I was trying to use the rudder with the Toe Pilot controls. The toe pilot was up to high for me. To use the rudder I would have to lift my foot off the hull which I did not like.

Thanks shraz. When I sat in the S16 cockpit in the showroom the rudder control pegs weren’t as comfortable to me as the simple toe pegs with my skeg kayaks. So your comment and strings about cockpit comfort plus my age and skill level suggests the “wow factor” for me probably doesn’t exist.

I too am very partial to a skeg and that is why I thought the LV Intrepid would be a possibility.

@shiraz627 said:
I have test paddled the Stellar S16. Overall I liked the boat and almost bought it. I encountered a red flag when I was trying to use the rudder with the Toe Pilot controls. The toe pilot was up to high for me. To use the rudder I would have to lift my foot off the hull which I did not like.

There is quite a gulf between a Caribbean and an S16.

@blackthumb said:
Thanks shraz. When I sat in the S16 cockpit in the showroom the rudder control pegs weren’t as comfortable to me as the simple toe pegs with my skeg kayaks. So your comment and strings about cockpit comfort plus my age and skill level suggests the “wow factor” for me probably doesn’t exist.

I’ve been to Wow several times and settled on comfort.

@string said:

@shiraz627 said:

You got that right! I was still in CT at the time plus a lot more flexible. Don’t get old.

@shiraz627 said:

@string said:

@shiraz627 said:

You got that right! I was still in CT at the time plus a lot more flexible. Don’t get old.
I’ve been fighting that old thing as best I can.
BTW, I haven’t forgotten I owe you a speed for the Carribean, as soon as the stitches come out. About May 19.

Why not step up to the Stellar 18R and get an efficient, comfortable, full plate footrest, instead of the undersized, un-ergonomic Toe Pilot controls, that requires an inefficient, splayed “frog leg” position. A full footrest is more comfortable, allows you to paddle with your feet/knees close together (more comfortable and more efficient for torso rotation) and gives you more foot placement options that the tiny “foot peg” options of the small Toe Pilot controls. . Or perhaps you could ask Stellar to give you this foot board on an S16?

Greg Stamer

I have a Stellar S16 Advantage and have owned and paddled it for a little over a year now, and am very happy with my purchase and it’s performance in all conditions I paddle in (Lake Huron & Superior, Gulf Coast, OBX). I purchased it as a day touring boat for the same reason…as a lighter alternative to my Delta 17, and thoroughly enjoy the boat and am happy with my purchase and the boats performance. I suffer from terribly inflexible knees (need dual replacement) and have to sit on the rear deck of both boats and slide in feet first as I can not bend my knees enough after sitting in the cockpit to bring legs in one at a time. Easy to do with the Delta, not so easy with the Stellar due to it’s rounded hull and curved rear deck (no paddle shaft cut out behind cockpit) which makes a paddle bridge for stability getting in a cautious procedure so as not to put to much strain on the paddle shaft from point loading…but doable.
As to the toe pilot/rudder control of the S16, they are very adjustable and can be adjusted so only your toes are needed to maintain rudder position for tracking and quite comfortable when properly adjusted for my size 12 booties or bare feet (34" inseam x 6’3" x 205lb x 66 yrs). Way more adjustable than the Deltas pegs.
As for speed compared to my Delta 17, I’d say very similar although I have not used a gps for precise comparison. The Stellar comes up to speed easier, and I am less fatigued after an outing (up to eight hours). I have been very comfortable up to four hours of continuous paddling with the stock seat set up of the Stellar and really like the cockpit fit without additional fitting out. I removed the foam seat pad in the Delta and use a gel seat pad, that has not been necessary with the Stellar. I rarely attempt surf landings as I am no longer able to exit either boat quick enough to beat the next wave generally. As mentioned in a previous post, there is no skeg option on the S16. I have a rudder on the Delta as well as I wanted the increased storage space for extended multi day trips. The Delta replaced my Prijon Kodiak which weighed in over 60 lbs and became too cumbersome to handle on land.
After more than 20 years of paddling and several kayaks, I am down to a two boat fleet and am very happy with both. My only advice is the obvious…
Don’t buy unless you try it first. If you can’t do that for some reason…pay your money and take your chances. What works for me, may not be right for you.
Peace!