Sterling kayaks ..

really?
I own the first Illusion sold in carbon. I’ve put it through its paces with heavy rock gardening, surfing, big winds, a few class 2 rivers, and my own ability to not take care of my gear appropiately. No stress cracks or other stuctural issues. Thin doesn’t necessarily mean it can’t take a hit. Gel coat on any boat will chip, gauge, or crack but the actual hull has never leaked or shown any signs of wear.

Sterling doesn’t have sponsored boaters!

which boats don’t leak? :slight_smile:

wow, that’s a strong hand!?

Hilarious! See below…
I own the first Illusion sold in carbon. I’ve put it through its paces with heavy rock gardening, surfing, big winds, a few boney class 2 rivers, and my own ability to not take care of my gear appropiately. No stress cracks or other stuctural issues. Thin doesn’t necessarily mean it can’t take a hit. Gel coat on any boat will chip, gauge, or crack but the actual hull has never leaked or shown any signs of wear. I also have a 60lb Shadow that has a very heavy layup of glass, resin, and gel coat. And it does leak leak like a sieve. Wanna buy it?

I have very light leakage in the rear hatch (one teaspoon after heavy surf sessions), but none in the day or forward hatch. I had the skeg removed, despite’s generous rocker it tracks fine in up to 41kts of wind (my max) paddling into or downwind. Yet I can pull a bottom turn while surfing rather than get locked into a broach and side surf.

Another great advantage to Sterling as a builder is that each boat made is slightly better than the last. They’re constantly improving the design and features. Co-builder Reg Lake has over 40 years of whitewater under his belt. (google him up, epic adventures!). Reg helps with design and building. He tests Sterling’s boats at Skookumchuck rapids and in class 2-3 rivers, as well as on his expeditions.

I always say, try before you buy, if you can. And don’t knock it if you haven’t Really tried it.

…paid reviews good?
…I read the Sea Kayaker reviews and didn’t think they were glowing at all. I’ve paddled the Illusion and it deserved a much better write up than it got.

Jon

I ended up buying and Illusion and paddled it a lot for 6 years. I sold it to an experienced paddler who knew what he wanted and I bought a Progression. I like Sterling boats a lot.

I know three paddlers of Sterling’s in Florida.

1 Like

I know one paddler who got the lightest layup of an Ice Kap. It had to be repaired not once but twice. BUT it sounds like it could have happened to a heavier layup, too.

One of the repairs was needed because, during a two-person carry, one person (and I know who it was and never would have iet him touch my boat!) dropped his end. The other repair was due to a collision with another boat; I don’t know if the owner got hit or she hit someone else.

When we make informed choices about what we buy we all have different considerations and weigh those considerations in order to come up with the best overall answer for ourselves. For me, the performance envelope of the Sterling boats present the most compatible and enjoyable package for my day-to-day paddling and simply scratches an itch that that nothing else has been able to do. I, personally, have a lot more fun paddling a Sterling kayak.

1 Like

I didn’t see this thread when it first appeared (10 years ago), so I’ll weigh in now.
Have 3 Sterlings (Ice Kap, 28lbs; Illusion, 34lbs; Progression, 36lbs)
Haven’t had any back problems since buying my 1st one (back in '12).
Previously, pretty much exclusively paddled Brit boats (Romany, Explorer, Nordkapp).
Love the designs, the weight - not so much.
Checking my log, mile totals: NDK boats: 38,270; Sterling: 20,249; Valley: 18,583. Sterling passed Valley miles late last year. It’ll take a while to pass NDK’s (especially with a ‘new’ non Sterling soon to be joining the crowd)

1 Like

What’s the functional difference between the Illusion and Progression? The Illusion seems designed to travel faster but given they’re both highly rockered, it doesn’t seem like the Illusion is built with speed in mind…

agree, but it is a little faster than the Progression.
I like the boats because they’re ‘fun’. They will not get you there as fast as an Epic 18X or a Rockpool Taran, but the trip will be fun. And actually, for me, there is that added ‘safety’ feature, can handle nasty water better.
I use the Progression for surf play. I can get clobbered really bad, and the Progression pops back up like a cork. I use the Illusion for longer day trips.

2 Likes

What raisins said. That sums it up. All of the Sterling boats are “fast enough” to comfortably travel with a group at a normal touring speed. Travel with a group of fast sea kayaks? Not so much but their comfort in rough water offers you options that you might not have considered before.

Folks paddle different boats for different experiences and Sterling boats aren’t for everyone. No boat is for everyone. I used a Rockpool Taran last Summer and was bored. Its performance offering didn’t come close to matching what I like about paddling. It was fast but compared to what I’m used to it seemed pedestrian.

Different strokes.