Stop paddle drip forever

Put this one in the category of “why didn’t I think of that?” Actually, McRae already did, with the help of a turkey baster

http://tinyurl.com/yqxs2q

Good luck with that.
I’ll let someone else be the guinea pig.

It should workk okay

– Last Updated: Jan-23-08 7:20 PM EST –

Here's the one I used before I sold one double-blade paddle and let the other collect dust for a few years.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/490248000UQSTOO

Actually, even WITH the recurved shape of the drip cups I made, I had to keep my stroke short to keep from dumping the contents of the cup in front of me. Either that, or I could modify my recovery stroke to use momentum to keep the water in the cup while reaching for the next stroke. Either way, I'm just glad I quit using paddles like that.

I got the idea from the drip cups on a double-blade paddle my dad made for his little duck boat about 50 years ago, but he made those drip cups out of leather. Those actually worked REALLY well.

The drip cup shown in the photo linked by the original poster needs to be moved up the shaft a few inches or it will contribute its own drip problem. You don't want the drip cup going under water on each stroke.

Is Paddle Drip Really a Problem?
I’ve never stayed dry paddling. From my shoes to my cap, I expect to be wet while paddling. So it seems kind of silly to worry about a few drops that might travel down the paddle shaft to hands that are probably already wet anyway. This was in my sea kayak with a skirt and even more so now that I am in a surfski.

I know I am an exception around here about many things, but am I the only one who expects to get wet while paddling? I dress with the assumption I will get wet from launching the boat, spray from the ocean, water flying off paddle blades, my ass sometimes sitting in water, the possibility of capsize etc…

To me, drip rings seem like a good idea when you’re in the showroom, but in the real world they aren’t really practical.

Does anybody ever stay completely dry while paddling?

Drip is more annoying in open boats such
as canoes and large cockpit kayaks without skirts than with small cockpit kayaks, which, even without skirts, don’t get much paddle drip water in inside the boat.

It’s much more than a few drips in the boat when I use a 230cm double blade and high angle stroke with my open canoes.

Who desires for a bunch of water in their canoe large cockpit kayak? Probably not many seek out water to add to the interior of their boat.

When I want to double blade and don’t want drip water in the boat, I take a kayak with a smaller sized cockpit.

buy one now!
…and you’ll receive this free gift!

http://www.bendingbranches.com/gear/kickstand.html

not in a canoe
Flatwater canoeing is a totally dry experience for me.

I don’t get it.
Are regular standard drip rings suddenly

no good or obsolete?

(Doesn’t matter really. I also get wet in

both whitewater or flat with no matter what

I do, anyway.)

My cat
My cat was wearing a ‘drip ring’ like that when he came back from the vet after ‘the procedure’. Bad juju, don’t want that thing on my paddle, I’d rather get dripped on…

Totally dry with double blade in canoe?
Do you use a really long paddle? or do you use a single blade?

I haven’t found a long double blade that I prefer over the 230cm double blade.

I use a single blade most of the time in the canoes.

Hey Ret603
was the auction winner.

We’d want a thorough review, Dave!

As long as there’s paddles and water
there’ll be drip. Learn to enjoy the drip, embrace the drip, become one with the drip (don’t drink it though).

jim

I suspect
if I were paddling on a lake of sulfuric, nitric or some other horrible acid (don’t want that on me) or Guinness (wouldn’t contaminate a lake of Guinness with my boat anyway) I’d worry about the ‘drips’. Paddling is a ‘water’ sport . . . I liken it to snow skiing but not wanting to get cold. It is what it is, and thats what proper attire and a spray deck is for :slight_smile:

Then again, I did see an auction on E-bay a while back where someone fitted an electric Minn-Kota trolling motor to their 16’ touring kayak . . . perhaps the answer is simple, no paddle = no drips.

Second That
I guess one of the reasons why I don’t paddle in the winter, aside from my aversion to cold in general, is that I like the feel of the water. It’s all part of the “be one with the water” experience.

Lou

Man…the DRIPS…
…go to the doc and he will fix you up with a shot!

S

Real men

…don’t worry about the drips.

Paddle drip

– Last Updated: Jan-26-08 6:44 PM EST –

Hi Ness,

I've spent the last week home with a respiratory bug that I'm still not over. Looking at postings I saw the drip rings link. Since I'd "saved" a tank or two of gas by staying home I felt free to spend the $15 to try the rings. I'll post my experience with them in the summer after considerable use. I don't have high hopes, it was a cheap way to relieve boredom of being housebound.

Dave

Hope you feel better Dave
Lots of people here sick with a bad upper respiratory illness recently.

If it only took $15 to amuse you, well worth. Get well soon.

I can’t contain myself any longer.
Single blade = no drips.

Marc Ornstein

Dogpaddle Canoe Works

single blade
Hey Mark,

There are some drippers who say that a single blade is only half as effective.

Dave