storing a feathercraft assembled?

Hey, I just acquired a feathercraft kahuna folding kayak. I am completely new to the folding kayak scene, and typically just transport hardshells on top of my car in a pair of mako saddles. My question…is it ok to store the kayak assembled for long periods of time (like a couple months) and essentially treat it like a hardshell, or will this destroy the thing. Also, does it hurt to transport a folding kayak on top of a car in mako saddles, or should I always assemble it on site. Thanks

Jeremy

Talk to
some of the people on the forum at http://www.foldingkayaks.org . I think you’re not supposed leave a Feathercraft assembled for more than two to three months or the aluminum tubes may seize where connected to one another. The Boeshield T-9 product is, according to all I’ve read, the application of choice to help prevent seizing. I used that stuff on an ancient Folbot, and it got the longeron sliders working well enough.

You may also wish to email or telephone the Feathercraft company for advice.

C.

Christov speaks wisely
i’ve got a wisper and a k-lite, they travel well on roof tops, the best saddles are j-cradles, i think malone makes them.

most of the time my folders are on the rack and every now and then --2 months-- i’ll take one apart and put on the boeshield…

another thing, did yours come with a seasock? if not get one and use it…they keep a huge amount of grit out of the boat…important for the aluminum tubes but it gets between the skin and tubes and rubs. your skin should last 30 or more years depending on how you treat it…oh one more thing, if you get j-cradles put the cockpit facing in and the wind will push laterally against the boat more further holding it in the cradle…and trie to get your tie downs on the ribs…

I asked the same thing, PBliss.
I too went to the above mentioned folding kayak site and did some research on your exact question when I bought my Feathercraft… although no one says directly, “take it apart if you’re storing it for over x amount of time”, it is quite clear that many people suffer with the tubes seizing up to the point they have to buy new tubes from Fcraft. Agree, you could call Feathercraft, as Rebecca and the others that answer the 800 line are truly lovely people. I think use in salt water, which you might do in Alaska, is particularly warranting a take apart and Bioshield as that truly does corrode faster than freshwater.

Happy paddling.

To add
When I dissamble mine, I soak the frame in fresh water for an hour or so to help get rid of salt.