Storing canoe on hoist (upside-down?)

I just bought my first canoe (Old Town Guide 147). I was planning to store it in the garage by rigging up a hoist so it would be up near the rafters.

My question is this: The owner’s manual Old Town provides states to always store the canoe upside down. Does this apply if it’s suspended? It would be more convenient to suspend it right side up (and would also allow storing the paddles and life vests inside the canoe).

Is there any reason that upside-down would be better in that situation?

My hypothesis
is that O T’s warning was to keep the weight off of the hull to prevent deformation. If you rig a couple of beams for the gunwales to sit upon it would bew no different than storing the boat on a couple of sawhorses. The weight would be on the gunwales.

Jim

I hang our canoe upside-down from the garage ceiling for ease of loading and unloading. PFDs and paddles can live on the bottoms of the seats and thwarts.

Yes. No.

– Last Updated: Aug-24-06 8:21 AM EST –

If you care for your hull do not suspend it right side up for any extended period. Also, do not suspend it from the painters, bow and stern handles, or the thwarts.

>:^)

Mick

The hoist is like a swing…
…or a trapeze (sp?) with a board that the canoe sits upon.

My set-up is pretty simple
The canoe can be cranked up and down, but sits on the gunwales, just as if it were on a pair of sawhorses. When hanging in storage, canoe sits gunwales-down on two specially built hangers. The lower bracket of each hanger connects to a parallel beam above the canoe via a pair of threaded rods. The upper beam of the hanger has an eye-bolt at the center to attach to the hoist rope.

That would work…
…upside down with the weight on the gunnels at the thwarts.