storing canoe outside

-- Last Updated: Jul-03-13 9:53 PM EST --

I have no choice but to store my canoe outside for the next 6 months or so. I just bought a new canoe and brought it home. What are the do's and do not's about storing a canoe out side?

I was going to put some "L" brackets on the side of my shed and store it upside down on those, kind of like sitting on sawhorses. Will that be ok?

yeah that will be fine …

– Last Updated: Jul-03-13 10:23 PM EST –

....... try to find a way to keep it from always being in direct sun light . Also remember when you put it up against a shed wall ... if that wall gets heavy sun light , the wall gets hot and puts extra heat on the canoe (oven effect from solar insolation process) .

I'd say about 1/2 the canoe length is a good rule of thumb for support arm spread .

How long is it and what material is it made of ??

Don't just throw a tarp over it , air needs to circulate around it and any tarp will cause heat build up and excessive moisture w/o the air circulation .

– Last Updated: Jul-03-13 10:29 PM EST –

It's a Journey 156 and made out of poly. It will always be in the shade, no sunlight can get in there.

how about a zippered cover
the ones from Dallas Manufacturing (see Amazon or Sportsman’s Guide) are inexpensive and made of a breathable material, not vinyl. Cheap way to keep your boat looking new, clean and critter-free. There’s a 16 ft size available that should fit your canoe perfectly.

I’ve got poly boats outside
I still throw a tarp over them to keep tree sap and bird poop off.

One poly canoe spent a summer on sawhorses, now I keep a couple canoes stored on a trailer and some kayaks on an old bunk bed frame. Mostly the tarps are not directly in touch with the boats.

In my experience the best way to store a poly canoe is loaded on a double decker trailer under is an aluminum canoe.

Remember for best results put them in the water frequently.

I would wrap it in a tarp
To keep the spiders and squirrels out.

Years ago, I kept a canoe out side just the way you are suggesting, and the squirrels chewed on some gray foam blocks that were on the portage yoke

Jack L

Sometimes
Sometimes I have to leave a canoe outside for a while. I cover it with a tarp, but don’t let the tarp touch the canoe (built a temporary tarp shelter for it.)

It doesn’t stay out too long and no squirrel problems; but we leave Tiger, our Pit Bull, outside a lot. We live in the country, and before him Bonnie our German Shorthair kept the squirrels at bay.

curious about your “L” brackets …

– Last Updated: Jul-04-13 10:52 AM EST –

...... what did you have in mind ??

I'd use a 2x4 to make them myself ... but it's concievable a large enough metal "L" bracket could work . And you could cap a metal "L" bracket with wood .

Does your shed have wood studs ?? If so , the attachment is straight forward ... if not you'll probably need interior structural backing .

If you would like or need a good 2x4 support arm idea you can build yourself , email me and I can show you . Easy to make , solid as rock , one 2x4 per bracket (4 pieces) .

Pipe insulation
is what I use to keep the tarp off the boat and allow for airflow.

When I first stored outside, in a location that gets a bit of sun, I did not know about the airflow issue with the tarp and after about six months I had some blushing on the hull. I then used cable ties to to attach some foam pipe insulation to the inside and that seems to allow enough airflow and the blushing has not spread or gotten worse.

Pool noodles would also work, and they are of somewhat larger diameter.

Peter