Storm Cag

-- Last Updated: Nov-21-10 10:27 PM EST --

I've had mine for two years, but recently I've been using it on a regualr basis as the temps have dropped. Fit's over everything, cuts the wind down and is waterproof and warm. Hands down one of my favorite pieces of gear.

http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=tsc

They are pretty sweet…
Mine has been put in use also with the cold weather…

Good idea
I have a Lotus Skanorak I bought years ago that functions a bit like the Cag - you can pull it on over your vest and everything while in the boat. It’d be nice if it covered the skirt as well and folded down as small as the Cag. On the upside, it functions as a good (but very baggy) foul-weather jacket, if you can abide the fluorescent orange color.

hey
do you put it over your spray skirt? or just use it instead?

well
how well does it really keep the water out have you tested it well in heavy rain?

Answer to both of your questions

– Last Updated: Dec-06-10 3:26 PM EST –

I usually do not wear a spray skirt in warm weather. But will in cold weather. Last Friday I went out paddling. It was cold and windy, so I put the storm cag on over everything. I did have my spray skirt on and the cag does secure to the cockpit over the spray skirt. Between my dry suit and the storm cag plus layers underneath. I was warm and comfy.

In a rain storm water will collect on the cag. Just have to flick it off when enough collects. It's a very loose fit.

I had it on during this rain storm...

http://outdoors.webshots.com/video/3051860990041263145cpqdDT

The cag…

– Last Updated: Dec-06-10 9:27 PM EST –

The cag is a great piece of gear, especially in the colder weather. I use it now for day paddling, gets put on during breaks, goes over all my other gear (life jacket, skirt, dry suit) to help me stay warm while I wolf down lunch or a snack. When I'm ready to paddle again I take it off and stash it in the day hatch.

Also used it one summer in Alaska, back when I was lucky enough to get paid for sea kayaking. Was on a 3 1/2 week long trip with leaky/crappy "touring" style spray skirts, that were only water proof enough to pool water so it could drip directly onto my crotch. In that instance I would use the cag like another skirt while paddling to keep my crotch dry. Can also be used to put over another paddler who is having trouble staying warm, that extra layer helps keep one warm and the wind/rain off.

IMO best used in conjunction with a skirt.

Great piece of gear...

My experience with the Kokatat cag
My husband and I have the same cag, except we went up to the PacLite GoreTex version after talking with a couple of folks who had found that the breathability of the Tropos one didn’t fare as well as GoreTex. Note that we are often pulling them on over a couple of other layers up here, and always paddle with at least neo deck spray skirts.

As to the two questions about their performance above -

while they are not intended to keep out water as well as a neo spray skirt, we did get to a pond for wet work practice one day and I realized I had forgotten my skirt. I tried using the cag instead. It was a day where we didn’t have time to get out for a longer trip but it was hot, so we took advantage of a local small lake to get wet for a couple of hours. Just the cag wasn’t as dry as my neo skirt, but it was dry enough for me to practice. It caught enough air to provide interesting flotation.

The cag is bone dry with respect to rain. The only place I find water coming in is under the wrist cuff, but that’s because I tend to paddle with a fairly wet stroke. As far as water coming down on you from above, it’s great.

cag in cold weather
If you end up out of the boat, the cag is pretty much worthless. Makes a nice rain coat in warmer weather but it’s no replacement for a drysuit in cold water.

Bill H.

best use
for me has been when wearing a wetsuit on a wet and windy day and you stop paddling for a bit. The wind evaporates the water on the wetsuit and you get cold. the cag gives great protection for this.

Here’s what I use
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-GORE-TEX174-PacLite174-Rainy-River8482-Parka-Regular/750833.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Drain%2Bparka%26x%3D20%26y%3D6&Ntt=rain+parka

Another video
I’m glad I had the cag in the day hatch!

http://www.youtube.com/user/SzymAndy?feature=mhum#p/u/8/IrRqSsrUYds

Great kit…

– Last Updated: Dec-08-10 11:54 PM EST –

...I'm so glad that I bought that cag a few years ago. It's always in my day hatch and as others have noted it is a great layer to throw on when you just need to warm up. When paddling in the winter I throw it on when out of the boat for a break and on any paddling trip it is my rain coat around camp. If you stuff it into it's kangaroo pocket and zip it shut it makes a very nice fleece lined pillow for sleeping.
On a kayak trip it is totally acceptable shore gear unless you camp where fashion matters.

Let's review:

The Kokatat Storm Cag is:

Windproof
Waterproof
Breathable
Is made by a company known for exceptional customer support and service
Fits in a day hatch
Easily pulls over your PFD and snugs up better than we should expect it to on the cockpit combing
Can be stuffed into it's own pocket to form a fleece lined pillow.
Can be worn as functional raingear and doesn't raise eyebrows on the BC ferrys
Is acceptable club wear in Port Hardy, Prince Rupert and points north
Works very well as raingear in any campsite where the Kadasians will never be

.....and you don't own one yet?

Why not?

Jon
http://3meterswell.blogspot.com/

Seals Storm Cag
I just came across this Cag from Seals:

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Seals-Storm-Cag?sc=7&category=183

Any owners out there that can comment on this piece of kit?

My Go to Cag
I have seen these and they seem to be a version of the old Valley cag which in turn was a version of the old Rasdex cag. I bought a used Rasdex and I like it a great deal. Made from much heavier material than the Kokatat ones. It is actually windproof and waterproof.

It is tough and will take abuse. Design of kangaroo pockets/handwarmer section for me is better than Kokatat. I own both and this is the one I instinctively reach for when putting day kit together. On longer trips where space is an issue, I tend toward Kokatat.

Think of it as a piece of gear a commercial fisherman would trust as opposed to something a day sailor would like. Maybe think of it as the NDK of cags.