Stowable Kayak Cart

Looking for a kayak cart I can stow in one of the hatches of my PH Scorpio MV so I don’t have to run it back to the car.

Any recommendation?

The Seattle Sports “Original” comes apart and folds up quite small, so it may suit your needs. I have one and like it. Check out the second picture here:

https://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports-Original-Cart-Black/dp/B06XKG187K/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=paddleboy&qid=1558375230&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-3-catcorr

LL Bean has a small cart, no experience with it, though the return policy is good…

I have a WheelEEZ mini kayak cart. It fits into the hatches of my boats, but I don’t use it anymore as last year I purchased a cart with 16" wheels. Wouldn’t be adverse to selling it.

https://wheeleez.com/product/wz1-kcm-tt-20/

Also have the WheelEEZ mini kart with the fat soft beach wheels.

Where are you located?

@Rookie said:
I have a WheelEEZ mini kayak cart. It fits into the hatches of my boats, but I don’t use it anymore as last year I purchased a cart with 16" wheels. Wouldn’t be adverse to selling it.

https://wheeleez.com/product/wz1-kcm-tt-20/

Also have the WheelEEZ mini kart with the fat soft beach wheels.

Where are you located?

Eastern MA.

C-Tug kayak cart. You will need to watch the video to figure out how to assemble and use :(, but it comes apart to fit into small hatches, has no metal to rust, and has been dependable for four years now. They have two different kinds of wheels available: hard surfaces and sand. I have hard wheels and it easily pulls down the beach with a little drg in the soft stuff.

Of the 4 carts I have picked up over the years, 2 of them are these guys: https://amzn.to/2VVVWXz. They fit as-is in larger volume hatches (like the rear hatch of my Dagger Stratos) or with wheels off in many smaller volume hatches.

The plastic that wraps around the boat and double straps make it so that the wheels track with the kayak (can be an issue with many other dollies, like what Rookie suggested - the wheels can catch on something and turn sideways).

Downside: Mounts under stern of kayak, so only carries part of the weight of the boat, where the style like what Rookie suggested can be placed more central to support more of the kayak weight. And my suggest rack wouldn’t work with flat hull boats (like SOTs and possibly not rec boats).

I use the earlier version of the cart Peter that linked. It was called the Quantum Kayak Stern Cart and seemed to have been originally designed for rowing shells. The plastic scoop is narrow, so it only fits under the stern, or a bit more forward of it with a narrow kayak. As I wrote in a review for Pnet, the wheels are hard, narrow ones suitable only on pavement or hard dirt. The cotter pins are a royal PITA to work and rust fairly soon. However, they appear to be a cheap generic part that can probably be bought in hardware stores. That’s what I did.

I still use this cart because I am only portaging a short distance anymore, between parking space and boat ramp. The entire cart will fit in front of my feet but I consider it an entrapment hazard, so I just carry it back to the truck. With the wheels off, the parts fit easily in hatch compartments. But put the small pieces in a secure bag, because it is easy to lose the pins and plastic bushings.

When I was portaging from home to the beach, a distance of about 0.5 mile each way on varied surfaces, I switched to the Wheeleez Kayak Cart Mini Tuff Wheels. It is a bigger cart with nonflatting tires better suited off pavement than the Quantum Cart. However, the wheels will bog down in deep sand. I just dealt with that, but if it bothers you then get the “fat” pneumatic gray beach wheels instead. The black Tuff wheels and the gray fats are both available in either full size wheels or minis. THE WHEELS FIT ONLY THE FRAME THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR. For example, my mini Tuffs cannot be used on the mini beach frame.

The Wheeleez cart can go farther up from the stern end, though not under the cockpit. Therefore, the weight on your hand is a bit less than with the Quantum. The ride is quieter and smoother also, since either the Tuff or beach wheels have more meat on them, not just hard plastic. With my kayak, I have to disassemble the cart to stow it in two hatches. The quick-release O-rings make this easy to do.

When I bought the carts, the Quantum cost $80 and the Wheeleez cost $90. I’m sure prices have risen since then. A bonus with Wheeleez is that parts are available individually from them. I replaced the frame on my first Wheeleez after it got grooves worn in it from frequent use. Still later, the tread finally wore down enough that I then bought a whole new cart. At $90 for the whole thing every couple of years of heavy use, I didn’t mind.

I use a C-tug. store it in my back hatch.

LL Bean has this cart
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/48787?page=packaway-kayak-and-canoe-cart

Capefear posted a very nice stainless steel cart that he uses. I think you have to buy it from the company maybe he will see this and post about it or message him. It is high quality. I saw one on Craigslist locally I would have bought, but already had my C-tug