Stowing a GP

Inspired by the thread about the paddle shaft tubes to stow Euros - how do people work out stowing paddles when they go out with a GP and a Euro? Particularly how do you set up to stow either/both of them on the front deck, combine options like tubing for the Euro ferrels/shafts and a raised piece of bungie for the GP, other such ideas?

I am talking primarily about expedition length sea kayaks, with my GP being conveniently shorter than a lot of the ones for the guys since they are sized to height. But any ideas that would be equally good on my 15’8" Vela as well would be great.

Check out my Deck Rigging album…
…at http://community.webshots.com/user/brian_nystrom-reg

GPs are actually much easier to stow than Euro paddles, particularly if you keep a short paddle (a.k.a. “storm paddle”) as your spare.

GP 2pc. option
Get a two piece GP and it works just like any other paddle. Beale and Feathercraft have this option., I wish Superior would offer a two piece.

I have a 16ft yak and as a one piece I can still

get it on the deck but it gets close to the skeg control, A longer yak should be easier. But the

two pc. works well on shorter yaks.

Stowing a GP
Stowing a GP is quick, simple and easy. You just need a stiff loop at the bow (and/or) stern to hold the far tip. The closer tip is secured in your foredeck (or aftdeck) rigging. An example from Greenland is illustrated at http://www.qajaqusa.org/common_images/kaleraq_beck2emb.jpg. The strong non-elastic decklines of a Greenland kayak hold the paddle more securely than bungi, but that said, I have never had a GP ripped off the deck of my Anas Acuta using stock deck rigging and a bow loop. On the Anas I simply have the bow loop attached to the perimeter deck lines.

When I just need to get the paddle out of my way quickly, or want a little extra support while resting, then instead of placing the paddle under the bow/stern loop, I just shove the paddle under the deck lines with the paddle extended and acting as an outrigger (it trails into the rear quadrant). You can use your norsaq to wedge the blade for a tighter fit (a common practice in Greenland). Again, this is much more secure if you have non-elastic deck lines.

Greg Stamer

Yes…storm paddle as a spare
Most of the time, I just carry one spare, and it’s the storm paddle. Sometimes, if I’m paddling with someone who doesn’t have a spare paddle, and might not have the deck rigging necessary for a spare paddle on their boat, I’ll take along one full length GP spare in addition to the storm paddle. I’ve been in some very lively seas and/or big breaking surf with two spare paddles on deck, and I haven’t lost one yet! (knocking on my wooden head as I type). :slight_smile:

Melissa

Rear

– Last Updated: Apr-19-06 10:41 AM EST –

I store a short (160cm,5,25") simple self-made GP on the rear deck of my P+H vela. I've added some more bungees (with wooden balls in the middle) to keep it on place and it fits exactly. See the (too small..) photo "...mit Steganlage" on http://ostfriesland-entdecken.de/wasser/termunten.php

Update: http://ostfriesland-entdecken.de/wasser/droemel.php
the last two photos :)

Occasionally…
…I’ve carried the storm on the foredeck - for me - and a two-piece Euro on the aft deck in case someone else needs a spare.

Cords vs. bungee
I find that bungee is nearly useless for securing anything on-deck, so I replace most of it on my boats with cords and sliding tensioners, Greenland style. The only place I use bungee is on the forward loop, but that’s mainly because I need it to be able to accommodate a Euro paddle in addition to my GP when I’m teaching rescues and demonstrating how to stow a paddle quickly. Having cords in front of the coaming provides a good attachment point for a short tow line for “quick and dirty” towing of boats out of danger.

short GP
Don’t let Vernon hear you call them “Storm Paddles”. According to our historian, the Inuit didn’t carry spares and didn’t use a shorter paddle during heavy weather. Use of shorter paddles was (according to my references) a region variation. The term “storm paddle” seems to be a modern construct to describe a short GP. It’s a convenient term but then so was refering to the Inuit and Aluet collectively as “eskimos”.

Jed